Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2003 e320 that I love dearly.

I just moved from florida to new jersey and the heater does not work!! all i get is cold air. I never used the heat before, living in florida, but now it seems to be non functioning. I read the manual and put the dials all the way to the right on red but still no heat with the fan on...can someone please help me out here?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
First thing is to check the coolant level. if its low could be a easy fix.

Next is 2 part.

1: Has the thermostat and rad cap ever been replaced?

2: The control unit for the AC/heat could be bad and not adjusting the blend door correctly.

First is maintaince so do that if it has not been done in 60K. The 2nd is where your problem may be but the first thing is cheaper and easier to start with.

·
Banned
932 Posts
Even w/low coolant you will have heat, so most likely your Heater Control Valve (part #A211 832 05 84) is stuck in closed position after many years w/nice weather in Florida. It is #30 on attached diagram. Part cost around 50$ if this is the problem, but dealer probably will ask for 450-550$ to do the job. DIY is 2-3 hours or less depend on your mechanical skills.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in FL and had the same problem. It was the Heater Control Valve. The dealer wanted 900 to install it. I bought it online for 39 bucks and did it myself in about 2 hrs. Search this forum for it. Someone had posted the install with about 29 pics step by step. It's really simple if you like to work on your own car. The wife had to help, seeing her hands were a lot smaller.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in FL and had the same problem. It was the Heater Control Valve. The dealer wanted 900 to install it. I bought it online for 39 bucks and did it myself in about 2 hrs. Search this forum for it. Someone had posted the install with about 29 pics step by step. It's really simple if you like to work on your own car. The wife had to help, seeing her hands were a lot smaller.
Even w/low coolant you will have heat, so most likely your Heater Control Valve (part #A211 832 05 84) is stuck in closed position after many years w/nice weather in Florida. It is #30 on attached diagram. Part cost around 50$ if this is the problem, but dealer probably will ask for 450-550$ to do the job. DIY is 2-3 hours or less depend on your mechanical skills.
+1 Just had mine replaced for $280 or so by an indy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yup ... the old Heater Control Valve bites you in the a*%*^(. Like you, mine had probably not been used in years (in AZ), but you'd be surprised how cold it gets here on winter mornings. My indie replaced it, and everything is fine ... not cheap but not the worst case scenario, either. This issue got me to thinking: it makes a case for operating every item in the car (or as many as one can think of) occasionally - just to keep it lubed or to check that it is functioning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts