Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 SLK 230 - No check engine light, no codes

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my car had an acceleration lag of about three seconds when I would hit the gas. Now when I hit the gas the car has no acceleration! The car starts fine and has no rough idle but when I hit the gas pedal, the car does nothing. I can only go three miles an hour! I need my car so I can get to work. Any help would be appreciated!

Sincerely,
Abel

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
2001 SLK 230 - No check engine light, no codes

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my car had an acceleration lag of about three seconds when I would hit the gas. Now when I hit the gas the car has no acceleration! The car starts fine and has no rough idle but when I hit the gas pedal, the car does nothing. I can only go three miles an hour! I need my car so I can get to work. Any help would be appreciated!

Sincerely,
Abel
Abel, welcome to the site.

There can be any number of reasons for the car to go into "limp home" mode, but all of them will leave some codes in the computer. You can get those codes read at many auto parts stores, like Advance Auto, Pep Boys, and a slew of others. Get the codes, they are critical to help you.

Also, when you get a chance add your location and model/year SLK to your avatar that will also help.
I hope you enjoy your stay here with us.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Interesting, my 2001 SLK320 is doing the same thing. I figured it was in limp mode, so I searched the term and found this thread. I hope its ok to talk about it here. It sat for about 2 weeks, went to start it on a cold morning, the heater made and noise and as I drove off I could barely/slowly reach 20 mph after each stop, the check engine light was not on. On the highway, at speed it was ok. Later, after work it drove fine. Today, I checked it, and the check engine light is now on and the sluggish acceleration has returned.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Interesting, my 2001 SLK320 is doing the same thing. I figured it was in limp mode, so I searched the term and found this thread. I hope its ok to talk about it here. It sat for about 2 weeks, went to start it on a cold morning, the heater made and noise and as I drove off I could barely/slowly reach 20 mph after each stop, the check engine light was not on. On the highway, at speed it was ok. Later, after work it drove fine. Today, I checked it, and the check engine light is now on and the sluggish acceleration has returned.
again, did you try to get the code? or have it checked?:D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I learned in this thread about getting the codes. So I plan to do that and report back. I can't drive it right now in this holiday traffic, so I will likely buy a code reader or get it towed to the shop. Thanks to this forum I don't feel lost and hopeless, like I did yesterday when I tried to drive it.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
For a quick check - just unplug the cable to the MAF. It will force the computer into a default program. It should then run reasonably fine if it was the MAF causing the problem. It will however trigger the CEL light and also turn on the engine cooling fan.

·
2,594 Posts
humm..... if no codes come up then its a mechanical fault. still can be sensor related... mine had the exact same symptoms you mentioned. mash the pedal and theres a good lag of 3-5 seconds and then it takes off so slowly (its in limp mode, i belive it stays in 3rd gear, no upshifts or downshifts).

a faulty throttle position sensor (connected to the throttle pedal), inside the car for post 2000 models or inside engine bay for pre 2000 models?

why do i say this? well while i was playing with the sprintboost or my car (just refused to work on my car for some reason) it would do the above. i plugged in my code reader and NO CODES thrown even though clearly it was in limp mode, uplugged my sprintbooster and bam all fine.... so it may not necessarly throw a code.

my money is on the throttle position sensor as a starting point...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts