Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of a 2012 s550 with distronic and blind spot warning system

I replaced the starter battery and now the traction control light comes and the distronic, blind spot warning, and lane departure system are disabled. Any idea on how these are related or how to fix it? Everything else works great.
Thanks in advance.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,837 Posts
I cannot say for sure, but similar problems related to the ESP, BAS, and ABC - all related to traction control - can occur after power is interrupted in a W220. The systems you mention are related to traction, driving assist systems, and the like - so on a guess, first try this:

With the engine running, first turn the steering wheel completely (stop to stop) to the left and then to the right. You may have to do this two or three times. The systems MAY (I emphasize "may") clear. Please let us know if this works for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting, I'm surprised it they allowed it to be this simple in a w220. When I get out to my car, I will turn the wheel a few times.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I have been traveling from Ohio to Utah.

It did not work, but thanks for the idea.

I purchased a scanner and I have 7 current codes

593800 - Check component N49 (Steering Angle Sensor)

761200 - CAN signal "Brake system intervention" from control unit electronic stability program or RBS is implausible

731800 - ONe or more signals sent from control unit A89 (Distronic electic controller unit) via the CAN bus is implausible

726600 - Chassis CAN bus: one or more signals sent from control unit eletonic syabliity program or RBS via the can bus is implausible

727C00 - Chassis CAN bus: one or more signals sent from control unit eletonic syabliity program or RBS via the can bus is implausible

738200 - CAN signal steering angle from control unit N80 Sterring column modual control unit is implausible.

727D00 - Chassis CAN bus: one or more signals sent from control unit eletonic syabliity program or RBS via the can bus is implausible

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,837 Posts
Each of those items is related to the problems you are having. I do not know if simply clearing them will get things working again - but it is unlikely an OBDII scanner will be able to clear them. It may be necessary to have an MB tech use STAR/DAS to do it. I hope one of our W221 geniuses can give you better advice.

I don't believe having trouble with those items is typical after a battery change. I presume you have checked fuses for those systems (as far as you can); I would not be at all surprised if the root cause is with a steering angle sensor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have also noted something strange with steering at low speeds. At random times, I feel I lose power steering at low speeds. Most of the time, it is firm, but smooth to turn.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
After battery change you need to do a reset to get the computer back on line . There is a way but i am not conversant with your car .

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,837 Posts
I have also noted something strange with steering at low speeds. At random times, I feel I lose power steering at low speeds. Most of the time, it is firm, but smooth to turn.
Have it checked out immediately! Your steering is electronic in this car, and you could lose it entirely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2008 S65 so a little older but I had to replace my ESP Control Module a while back. I started the car and ESP/ABS and Park Assist warning lights were on and the steering felt like it was slightly less assisted which seemed really strange to me because I wouldn't have thought the steering would be related to any of the warning lights. Info from dealer says they found an internal fault (invoice states fault codes 5905 & 5906) in the control unit and replaced. Hope this helps.

Randy

·
Registered
791 Posts
Without the DAS/Xentry scan , we're all beating around the bush.

It could be something as small as a wheel sensor not working which disabled traction control and ABS lights, in return also disabling the distronic plus and park assist.
This could also explain why the steering is stiffer as it is suppose to only stiffen when at high speeds and you turn your wheel real fast, it will stiffen the steering so you don't flip your car.

It could also be a steering angle going bad. Not being able to read the angle of the steering wheel angle it disabled everything that's connected with the driving assyst.

Either by the chinese clone scanner or the let the dealer scan it for you.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Without the DAS/Xentry scan , we're all beating around the bush.

It could be something as small as a wheel sensor not working which disabled traction control and ABS lights, in return also disabling the distronic plus and park assist.
This could also explain why the steering is stiffer as it is suppose to only stiffen when at high speeds and you turn your wheel real fast, it will stiffen the steering so you don't flip your car.

It could also be a steering angle going bad. Not being able to read the angle of the steering wheel angle it disabled everything that's connected with the driving assyst.

Either by the chinese clone scanner or the let the dealer scan it for you.
It was a bad steering angle sensor. $700 to replace it and now it works great. Thanks!
I so called this :D

Glad you go it working and got back on here to let us know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
Arlind86
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing