Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not real urgent, but due to my back surgery I cannot lift a battery, much less carry it, or push a car. I'm looking for some help with getting the battery out of my 107, pushing the car to its winter parking space (in the garage), washing and covering the car for the Winter. According to the forecast, the last drive will be Sunday, so anytime after that--except Mon & Wed--will work.
Thanks for all the other assistance you guys have given me.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,503 Posts
Those are all things I could be of help with, but Wisconsin is a long way from New York.
Good luck, and hope you're feeling better soon!

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Road trip??? lol
Thanks for the good wishes.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,109 Posts
Not real urgent, but due to my back surgery I cannot lift a battery, much less carry it, or push a car. I'm looking for some help with getting the battery out of my 107, pushing the car to its winter parking space (in the garage), washing and covering the car for the Winter. According to the forecast, the last drive will be Sunday, so anytime after that--except Mon & Wed--will work.
Thanks for all the other assistance you guys have given me.
Why not leave the battery in but disconnect it ? Maybe trickle charge a few times.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've thought of that, but keeping the battery warm and charged where I can see it keeps me from forgetting to put the charger on it every week or so. It gets kind of chilly here in the Winter (not compared to those Canucks who are north of me by quite a bit...lol

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
I've thought of that, but keeping the battery warm and charged where I can see it keeps me from forgetting to put the charger on it every week or so. It gets kind of chilly here in the Winter (not compared to those Canucks who are north of me by quite a bit...lol
Once a month s/be sufficient.Maybe not when freezing though. Save your back. I dare not try to lift mine either!

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,503 Posts
For the battery issues, have you ever considered leaving the battery in the car with a Battery Tender on?
I have a tender on the 107, Harleys, John Deere, etc. every year with no troubles. Just plug it in in the fall, and take it off in the spring. It's automatic, has lights that can be monitored, and it's Easy Peasy!

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
For the battery issues, have you ever considered leaving the battery in the car with a Battery Tender on?

I have a tender on the 107, Harleys, John Deere, etc. every year with no troubles. Just plug it in in the fall, and take it off in the spring. It's automatic, has lights that can be monitored, and it's Easy Peasy!
You could probably set up messages to your cell? I can turn my heating and aircon in the house from anywhere with cell reception.
Sort of a baby monitor.!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not that hi-tech. I only have a simple flip phone and a 74 107, which is 'simple'. The 74 doesn't have all the electronics of subsequent models.
According to the surgeon, I'm not even supposed to bend over far enough to connect/disconnect the battery. I'll look into the Battery Tender, tho.

·
Registered
1986 560SL 1986 420 SEL
78 Posts
I was just thinking about you and wondering if you need some help. How does one send a pm? New sight has me left out!

I should be able to come over Tuesday night and remove the battery, put it upstairs put the top back up and put it away for you.

Send me directions using the hwy 83 route, phone #, etc. Send to [email protected].

We're you able to drive it these last couple weeks?

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,055 Posts
Glad you got sorted, and good to hear the recovery's going well - mind yourself!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just thinking about you and wondering if you need some help. How does one send a pm? New sight has me left out!

I should be able to come over Tuesday night and remove the battery, put it upstairs put the top back up and put it away for you.

Send me directions using the hwy 83 route, phone #, etc. Send to [email protected].

We're you able to drive it these last couple weeks?
Thanks, Jim.
If I knew how to send a pm on the new site, I would. It's left me behind, too.
I-94 west to Hwy 83. Left (south) to 2nd roundabout. Left (East) to Brookhill Rd. (just past River Glen Church). R (south) on Brookhill to Saint Davids Dr. (Dorchester Heights). Left on Saint Davids to 1st Driveway on right. I will not be here until around 5PM.
Yup, I drove it. Got it full of good non-ethanol premium, too. Probably put 150 miles on it. Can't wait until May.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,055 Posts
Guys, for future reference - the PM functionality is available by clicking on the recipient's avatar and selecting "Start Conversation". It works. (y)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Battery tender is really low tech.
I use the battery tender without disconnecting the leads.
If you remove the battery, I would avoid charging in a habituated space (Poison H2S gas if overcharged.)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to a friend, Red is now covered snug as a bug in a rug for the Winter. I only got to put about 200 miles on her and hope to do many more next year. Thanks again for the help, BB.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts