Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost done with my first engine swap on my 240D. I've learned quite a bit.

I can't seem to remember the way these tranny pipes were hooked up. And there's no obvious place for them, it seems. I may have just been staring at them for too long. The replacement engine is a 1979 240D. The car is a 1982 240D with the original tranny.

Couldn't have gotten this far without you people.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another line that I need to ID:

The A/C compressor is not in the car at the moment, but the only line on the passenger side leading to the compressor would be the line from the evaporator core to the lower pressure end, no? So I'm left wondering where this line is supposed to hook up as well.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Almost done with my first engine swap on my 240D. I've learned quite a bit.

I can't seem to remember the way these tranny pipes were hooked up. And there's no obvious place for them, it seems. I may have just been staring at them for too long. The replacement engine is a 1979 240D. The car is a 1982 240D with the original tranny.

Couldn't have gotten this far without you people.
The Transmission Cooler Lines attach to the Bottom of the Radiator; the actual Cooler is built into the Radiator.

Someone badly bent the tubing on the one you have. The Tubing is suppsed to run along the side of the Oil Pan.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Transmission Cooler Lines attach to the Bottom of the Radiator; the actual Cooler is built into the Radiator.

Someone badly bent the tubing on the one you have. The Tubing is suppsed to run along the side of the Oil Pan.
Welp, that explains it.

So, unbolt from bottom of tranny?

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Be carefull bending those solid lines back down to where they are meant to go - if they crack you've got more problems!

The flexible lines run from the oil cooler that is an integral part of the RADIATOR to the underside of the transmission.

Here's a picture that might help

If this picture disappears you can see it on the first page of this thread

722.118 Automatic transmission rebuild (Monster DIY) - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

If I were you I'd replace the flexible pipes. If these deteriorate they send bits of rubber and junk straight into the valve body - making yet another problem for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be carefull bending those solid lines back down to where they are meant to go - if they crack you've got more problems!

The flexible lines run from the oil cooler that is an integral part of the RADIATOR to the underside of the transmission.

Here's a picture that might help

If this picture disappears you can see it on the first page of this thread

722.118 Automatic transmission rebuild (Monster DIY) - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

If I were you I'd replace the flexible pipes. If these deteriorate they send bits of rubber and junk straight into the valve body - making yet another problem for you.
Thank you for this. I'll be replacing the spring guarded flex pipes.

Getting them out was easy. Reshaping them is proving to be pretty difficult. Pretty much trial and error.

The photo is quite helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts