Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Got a small issue, not sure what to do. My car is an 06 and it doesn't have many trim upgrades. The seats are standard leather and the rest of the car is vinyl. The vinyl seems to have had a clear coat over it and I noticed it peeling when I bought the car. Here's an example:

It doesn't actually look quite that bad now because I got some soap and water and was able to rub off that peeling clear coat.

I've been really careful and removed most of the peeling, but I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure if that protects the vinyl (like UV protectant?) and it needs to be "replaced". Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a common issue that interior folks know how to handle?

I'm still super happy with the car, I've got almost all of the peeling off each of the four door cards. However, I'm thinking about buying doors from an S600 that are real leather stitched and retrofitting them in here.

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes-Benz S500 (W220 Facelift); 2008 BMW 750Li Individual
118 Posts
Hey folks,

Got a small issue, not sure what to do. My car is an 06 and it doesn't have many trim upgrades. The seats are standard leather and the rest of the car is vinyl. The vinyl seems to have had a clear coat over it and I noticed it peeling when I bought the car. Here's an example:

It doesn't actually look quite that bad now because I got some soap and water and was able to rub off that peeling clear coat.

I've been really careful and removed most of the peeling, but I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure if that protects the vinyl (like UV protectant?) and it needs to be "replaced". Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a common issue that interior folks know how to handle?

I'm still super happy with the car, I've got almost all of the peeling off each of the four door cards. However, I'm thinking about buying doors from an S600 that are real leather stitched and retrofitting them in here.
I think you either try peeling it all off with some Windex (sticky steering wheel button method) or replacing it entirely. There's no way you could fix that coat; I wasn't even aware there was a coat and that it was possible to damage the W220 interior like this.

After peeling off the coat, a bottle of 303 Protectant or Einzett 1Z Cockpit Premium , should protect it.

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you either try peeling it all off with some Windex (sticky steering wheel button method) or replacing it entirely. There's no way you could fix that coat; I wasn't even aware there was a coat and that it was possible to damage the W220 interior like this.

After peeling off the coat, a bottle of 303 Protectant or Einzett 1Z Cockpit Premium , should protect it.
Thanks for the feedback, glad to know 303 is good stuff :) I found out about it from another MBCA member and have been using it for a few years but I never hear anyone really mention it

I didn't think the clear coat was replaceable, but definitely wanted to check. It's pretty common for interior people will dye vinyls, I didn't know if they also usually use something to seal the finish.

I'll try the Windex trick to get the remaining parts off. The peeling parts are extremely easy to get off and the vinyl still looks great underneath :)

·
Premium Member
'02' S500 (W220)
586 Posts
This is interesting. My 02 S500 is very clean leather and never seen any peeling. The only thing I've seen is when I apply skin lotion on me that it will absorb into the leather. A simple application of leather cleaner and it looks perfect once again. I'm thinking someone applied some kind of sealer or something to the leather, if you say it looks great after it is peeled off.

You know it just dawned on me. This is a comfortable, top down, direct sunlight and fading of leather color. Application of sealer/clear coat feasible to protect the leather to exposure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts