Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Looking for a 404
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Getting my 406 finished up, and am looking for some new/used seats for the mog.
The cloth seats that the truck came with from a Mazda MPV.
They have mildew and are a little big and made for a tight squeeze.
Did I say I like beer.
I am 6'1" and 220 lbs therefore I do need room.
Need to replace both seats. Vinyl or leather would be my choice, heated would be a bonus.
Anybody recently replace their seats with non mog seats?
Or am I better to stick with stock seats?

Thanks for your time,
Mike

·
Registered
Vehicle: 1397 Portative Organ Normally Aspirated....U411, U2450,463 300GD
1,527 Posts
Somewhere on this forum I recall a white 416 DOKA with Bring My Wallet (BMW) heated seats. Can't remember what Beemer they were from.

·
Registered
1983 U1200 (parted out), 1979 U1700L
892 Posts
Pm sent

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,679 Posts
Somewhere on this forum I recall a white 416 DOKA with Bring My Wallet (BMW) heated seats. Can't remember what Beemer they were from.
That was my Old DoKa (now itjobhunter's) They were comfy seats, but I think you'd need a Doka's rear room to put them in.

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
I have a set of electric heated BMW 6 series seats in my T25 camper. They have a very low profile seat swab, and suspect these qualities would be desireable in a mog.Apparently Saab seat are also very low profile. I have a Subaru Legacy leather jobby in my U1000 that seems to agree with my arse.

·
Registered
Vehicle: 1397 Portative Organ Normally Aspirated....U411, U2450,463 300GD
1,527 Posts
That was my Old DoKa (now itjobhunter's) They were comfy seats, but I think you'd need a Doka's rear room to put them in.
Ah well, close but no cigar; when I had my 406 I coveted the ISRI
air seat that I have seen on some...still does not give you the heat
option...maybe that's available now. Evan

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,679 Posts
Evan,

I've installed quite a few aftermarket heating pads in seats, its really easy to do, set of hog ring pliers, a decent ceramic heater (about $100/seat for good quality high/low ones) and your good to go, heated seats can make all the difference in perceived warmth on a cold day :) I'm thinking of adding it to my 1300 but refuse to run any 12volt step down converters (I don't want any issues down the road), so I'm still searching for good elements that operate in 24volt

·
Registered
U1550L/37 Doka, U1700L/38, Merc 1017A
1,563 Posts
Evan,

I've installed quite a few aftermarket heating pads in seats, its really easy to do, set of hog ring pliers, a decent ceramic heater (about $100/seat for good quality high/low ones) and your good to go, heated seats can make all the difference in perceived warmth on a cold day :) I'm thinking of adding it to my 1300 but refuse to run any 12volt step down converters (I don't want any issues down the road), so I'm still searching for good elements that operate in 24volt
instead of a 12v converter, how about wiring them in series?

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,679 Posts
instead of a 12v converter, how about wiring them in series?
Hmmm....interesting idea.... of course then they have to be both on at the same time, so when my wife is cold and I'm not its either on or off, but its a good idea, I'll look into it.

·
Registered
U1550L/37 Doka, U1700L/38, Merc 1017A
1,563 Posts
Hmmm....interesting idea.... of course then they have to be both on at the same time, so when my wife is cold and I'm not its either on or off, but its a good idea, I'll look into it.
i have never done any heated seat gritts but if there is two diffrent ellements within one unit for high and low, maybe you could run them in series or something like that. i would also suspect the back rest is a diffrent unit than the bottom so they could be hooked up in series.

·
Registered
1987 416 Doka
661 Posts
I do have the BMW leather/heated seats - more on this topic here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/1544792-future-mog-owner-need-some-opinions.html

I had to install different ceramic heaters due to not having a wiring schematic for the BMW's, but I got a great deal on them off Craigslist, and they were NIB. I also have the safari top, but I can measure them if you are interested in going that route. My advice is to find any leather seats off CL, and install ceramic heaters in them like Trevor suggested - it isn't too hard to do, and you'll likely save more and be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
Looking for a 404
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys.
Have a line on stock seats that are local.
Crappy Tire has some heated seat pads on sale for 10 bucks.
Will give that a try, not much to loose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts