Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at this 2004 S600 with 42xxx miles. Black/stone. AMG sport package/Distronic/keyless go and possibly some more options except the 4 seating package. The car is located in San Francisco and the asking price is 49900. How much should I offer for this vehicle?how much is it worth? i have checked ebay and 03 and 04s go for low to mid 40s some of them with better mileage. one more help would be if someone could tell me what to look for and ask for in buying this vehicle.

as far as i know the car is still under factory warranty.(under 50k miles 2004) the dealer says its a lease return one owner car and provided me clean title report. its not a mercedes dealer so its not a cpo but the dealer says they can provide extended warranty.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
stay way from the s600's. you will be paying out the ass for repairs when it gets out of warranty. read up on the other posts, the 600's have oil leak issues that will cost you thousands to repair. I just repaired a 01 s600 at work and the bill came out to over $20,000. luckly the car had extended warranty but they wanted to total the car but the policy was from california. if it wasnt they would have totaled it. get an s55 or s500.

·
Premium Member
2003 S55, 2004 SL55
138 Posts
I can understand your dilema because I went through it about a year ago. The 600 is the top of the line Benz, with features we may never even use. The problem is that it is a very complex automobile that is both very diffcult and expensive to repair. Packing 12 cylinders and 2 turbos under the hood is only good if someone else is covering the repairs. You have to know that the 600s depreciate at a horrid rate and no one wants to take one in trade. If you don't believe me, call the used car manager at a Benz dealer and tell them you have one you'd like to sell and ask what they'll pay for it. The conversation will be short. Following the Chrysler merger, Benz figured that its reputation would carry it forward and quality was secondary. We all know that did not work out and even Benz does not want to pay to keep some of their cars fixed.

I had a 1994 S600. When it went in for service, they'd fix even the most minor things and often fixed things that I was not even aware of. My, how things have changed. I have a 2003 S55 class and I have to beat them into submission to fix even the obvious. My seat has a crease in it that once would have been fixed without question. No more. It is now "normal wear and tear" at 35,000 miles.

Another major problem: The only people offering extended warranties on 600s are companies with less than stellar reputations. Bottom line: The 600s are great to look at, great to drive and wonderful for someone else to own. You do not want to go there. Find a 2004 S55. They are never going to challenge Toyotas for reliabiltiy, but they are more agile than the 600 and far easier to keep running. Also, Mercury Insurance will write a warranty that actually fixes them if they break. They will NOT write a warranty on a 600. The 600 drivetrain has legendary problems and if that doesn't bankrupt you , the electrical widgets will. My S55 does NOT have Distronic, Keyless Go or Parking Assist. Why? Because I have no interest in trying to keep those troublesome systems operating. I am adept with a key, and prefer to lead rather than follow. Parking has never been something than I need help with. Buy the simpler car and simply have fun. I LOVE my S55.

·
Registered
2006 S55 renntech stage 4
38 Posts
I agree stay away from the S 600 at all costs. I drove a new one when I bought my S55. It had way too many electronic gizmo's to keep going and the service manager at the dealership was very honest when he said it would cost more after 6 years to keep running than it would be worth at the time. Plus they had 3 cars in service at the time with distonic or parktronic problems so that sold me on not adding those options. Sure twin turbo's would have been nice on 12 pistons but the way they jam the thing in there heat is a huge issue and we all know that heat will do damage down the road.

And if the stock 55 isn't enough "meat" for you do what I did and "renntech it" to hell and back. :D Granted it is not a quarter mile beast, but it does very well for a car that is packing the pounds that the S class does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts