Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local help you sell lot has a 1994 e320 conv on sale now for some time now. Asking price is $6100 (very low based on blue book) but looks very clean. I will be looking at her tomorrow and understand the head gasget and wiring harness are things to go, but she has 130k on her. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet, 2007 E350 Sport P2, 1995 E420
406 Posts
Check the operation of the top, if the cylinders are leaking you may see spots of fluid on the ground just in front of the rear tires. The switch should not flash. Check the seat belt presenters, they should present when the door is opened and then closed. Also check the seat back lock with the engine on and car in gear.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...lets say something is wrong with the cylinders can you lower and raise the top manually?

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
Also check for a delay shifting into reverse. My cabrio started having a delay into reverse around 130k, transmission replaced around 158k miles. definitely have a ppi on it regardless. The ac evaps are known to go south too and thats no small task to remove. My guess for that price it will have one of the 4 major issues, harness, evap, transmission, or head gasket. 5 if you countt the cylinders on the cabrio.

Also I dont think you can use the top manually except in an emergency. The rear bow wont lock to the tonneau cover when the top is up without the hydraulic system working.

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Definitely get it inspected.

For all of the things they listed above and for other things like accidents, poor maintenance or just broken or missing parts on the car. There are a lot of inspection services available to you in CA, but if that cost is too much at least get a carfax and see if you can track the ownership yourself.

BTW, if there are leaks in the top system, you will be able to smell it too. Hydraulic fluid has a very heavy odor.

Also, if you take a bunch of pics of the car under the hood, in the trunk, in the interior, etc, we can chime in and help identify missing parts or problems for you.

Best,
Bob

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
Hello, Kirali.

These cabs are especially complex machines mainly due to the top and its associated parts. For example, the automatic pop-up roll bars have their own controller. R&R on 8 hydraulic cylinders can be pricey too.

Over the past 7 years, I've put 170,000 miles on my cab (over 210,000 total) and have spent an average of $1,500 per year keeping everything up to par. The biggest single expense was the head gasket. I know the tranny will need a rebuild one of these days, so the average annual cost will be going up.

Even with the cost of maintaining the car, I think it's worth it. I enjoy never seeing another 300CE cabriolet for years at a time. Nice balance of performance, fuel consumption, looks, comfort and size.

Cheers,

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts