Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500E, E320 Wagon, C32
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys... I'm in a quandary. I'm looking for a daily driver which will not be too much to maintain. The choice is between a 1998 E300 Turbodiesel with 190k but well maintained or a 1995 Lexus SC300 with 90k and similarly well maintained . Price wise, they're almost priced the same. I've been a loyal Benz person although I've never had a W210 diesel. On the other hand, my wife had a SC300 and was very happy with it. The Lexus uses 91 gas as you guys may well know and get about 22mpg but might need less repairs since it only has 90k miles. Which do you think will give me less headaches and expense in the long run. I do not have problems with doing minor DIY repairs with either vehicle.

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
448 Posts
I don't pay too much attention to the years, as much as I do the mileage.. The Lexus..

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,886 Posts
This diesel will deliver over 30 mpg with conservative highway driving, or 28 mpg if you average over 80 mph cruising like I do.
Take a pen and paper, check your local prices, (don't compare Shell diesel, but cheaper stations) and calculate annual fuel cost.
The only thing you can expect on diesel are fuel tubings, where set cost in $60 range + $10 pilot bushing for the transmission.
No comments on Lexus.

·
Registered
500E, E320 Wagon, C32
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This diesel will deliver over 30 mpg with conservative highway driving, or 28 mpg if you average over 80 mph cruising like I do.
Take a pen and paper, check your local prices, (don't compare Shell diesel, but cheaper stations) and calculate annual fuel cost.
The only thing you can expect on diesel are fuel tubings, where set cost in $60 range + $10 pilot bushing for the transmission.
No comments on Lexus.
Thanks for your comments.
Maybe, the more pertinent question I should ask is: At 190K miles and further, what are my expected R&M expenses other than the usual change oil and the replacement of "consumables" such as fuel tubings and tires etc?

·
Registered
2004 E270 CDI
72 Posts
Which one of the two has better resale value? Lexus or Merc. Though I don't live in US but i presume Lexus would have better chances. If you don't like Lexus you can sell it off and always get a Merc later. That's what I would do or if I am inclined to get a Merc I would look further for a better quality Merc.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,886 Posts
Diesel power in sedans in USA is political issue, so can't use logic for estimating the value.
Not too many MB buyer go for diesel simply becouse US doesn't have qualified mechanics.
But talking about 1998 MB diesels, lately they seem to sell higher than 2008 MB diesels (with the same mileage). Takes some research to figure it out.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,036 Posts
I don't pay too much attention to the years, as much as I do the mileage.. The Lexus..
I agree with this. There was a whole lot more Lexuses sold and a lot more mechanics and parts available for it. Likely cheaper parts too.
When you buy the diesel of that year you are looking at a Car that few were sold compared to the Lexus. That means the parts for it are not going to be available as easily nor are they going to be available for as long. If you get the Diesel you are going to have a learning curve to deal with on how to take care of and run it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts