Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our euro-spec 87 190d 2.0L 4spd that we bought in February desperately needs brakes. I have ordered rotors, calipers, pads and hoses for all 4 wheels and now we need a shop in the chicago area to do the work. (I was going to do it- but decided to let someone else do this first repair for safety reasons). The parts will be here in a week.

A shop quoted 5.5 hours at $350 to do the parts swap. Is this reasonable? What have you guys paid for a brake job?
Please post or email your thoughts, I could use some guidance.

Thanks in advance- John

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
If the $350 is the total cost of the labor, that's a good price . . . but if that's they're hourly rate, ask to see their M.D./J.D./C.P.A. degrees since they're charging the going rate for all three professions at once.

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,730 Posts
As of last week, my 190E's front brakes are metal on metal. I took it to Les Schwab on Saturday and to fix both sides on the front they quoted me $318 including parts and labor after tax. They had to special order the parts and they won't arrive till this coming Friday morning, so in the meantime I'm driving my 300E.

They have to replace the calipers, rotors, pads, and are going to do a full checkup on my ABS system. Normally I am loathe to use non-Mercedes/Bosch manufactured OEM parts, and granted they use aftermarket OEM spec parts rather than genuine benz parts. However, in this case I am entirely comfortable with it because of all the cars I have owned and had serviced at Les Schwab, they have never let me down.

In fact, about 10 years ago I was on a road trip to California (coming from Washington state), and along the way coming down into Northern California I discovered that one of the pads had cracked and was grinding the rotor. I immediately drove it to the nearest Les Schwab, warranty sheet in hand, and they replaced the whole kit for that wheel on the spot, no questions asked. It turns out the rotors that they had put on a few weeks before were slightly warped, and they apologized many times and bestowed upon me a discount voucher for the next time I have them work on my car. Now that's what I call service!

In terms of brakes, even though they are easy to do and relatively inexpensive, I'd rather have a shop that's prepared to honor their warranty like Les Schwab work on such a critical safety feature on my 190E.

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses! The $350 quote was a total labor quote (I am supplying the $700 in parts). I don't know if this would include repacking bearings or not, and can only hope that they assumed this would also be part of the total "job."

I checked for a les schwab in my area and unfortunately wasn't able to locate one. I do have a "Pep Boys" within a short driving distance, but someone told me that even if I provide the parts, the benz will require someone more familiar with that breed to do the work.

Is there any truth to this?
Thanks again- J

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
Bearing hubs stay on the car and the rotors come off by removing two screws and the calipers. Makes for an easier job. Repacking the front wheel bearings is a seperate job.

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the shop that quoted $350 to do the work was including the bearings. I'll check it out with any shop I take it to. Do you guys feel that $350 is an acceptable quote?

Thanks-John

·
Registered
1985 2.3 16v euro
35 Posts
personally i have always felt the labor rate on brake jobs a tad too high, but that's less than half of what your parts are costing you!!! usually a good deal if you can get it, still like 64 dollars an hour though. you should see if the technician will let you watch and hopefully learn how to do it. then that 350 becomes a worthwile investment!

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. I had a mechanic who would actually permit me to assist him in order to get a discount on the labor costs back when I was a teenager. I learned ALOT from that experience, mostly about people and their cars, but that's another story and those days are long gone...

It sounds as if you guys think this is a good price quote?-John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts