Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a near perfect 300CD but know nothing about them. I have been looking for a 300E but my friend just found this 300CD. It was owned by a Dr. dealer maintained and is just poerfect in the pics he sent me. God bless the internet!<br> <br> Anyway, it's supposed to be a turbo diesel so, being as it would be my daily driver, can anyone send specs on the engine as far as hp/tq and the weight of the car? Anyinfo anyone has or a website you know of would be greatly appreciated. Since I know nothing about it, nothing would be trivial to me.<br> <br> It goes without saying that if you have experience with this engine or know of any problems, please let me know. Fell free to e-mail me directly at [email protected]<br> <br> <br> Thanks all.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 300 CD was produced from 1977-1985. It has the 5 cylinder diesel with overhead camshaft. The OM 617 and the OM 617A with the turbo. Bosch five plunger injection pump. 7,502 units of the non-turbo units produced and 8,007 of the turbo model produced. Good fuel economy, up to 25 mpg. 21.1 gallon tank. 14 in. tires. This is one of the best engines offerred by Mercedes-Benz in the 80's. The tranny will need work in the 250,000 mile range. Be sure to check for rust! Good luck.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
300CD

I have has two of these 300CD's. They are fun to drive. Almost everything except the doors and glass are identical (and interchangable) to the 300D (4-door)

Chuck

·
Registered
85 300GD LWB
501 Posts
300CD

I have the on-turbo version 617 in my '79 300CD. The car is a beauty and fun to drive. Don't expect to win any races though, style and comfort was put way ahead of perfromance on these vehicles. The engine is damn near bullet proof, just give it clean fuel, clean oil and clean air, (along with some adjustments) and she should outlast you.

Rust can be a bugger on these cars. I don't know where you or the car is but have a look at the door bottoms, the front fenders by the rubber bumper end and at the lower heel where they attach to the body, the rear wheel arches, the rockers (especially within the front wheel well), check the floor pans, check under the carpets for leakage from above, check the trunk to see if there is any water from leaking seals and also check under the rear licence plate (mine rusted there of all places, I suspect the plate frame rubbed through the paint [xx(] )

The air conditioning may not work and the same goes for the cruise control. Electric antena can also be a problem. Be sure that all the climate controls are functioning.

If the interior is blue and the car is from a place with lots of sunshine the dash may have cracks.

As you may have guessed I learned about the above items by experience. My car isn't as rusty as descibed above, those comments were made on my observations of the design of the various panels and problems encountered by others. Despite a number of deficiencies I still love the car and am bringing it back to top condition. The condition of the car and the price go hand in hand but you have to be aware of the potential problems and what they cost to fix. Then again you may fall in love with the damn thing and then the dollars won't matter as much! I think that is why we refer to cars in the feminine tense!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.