Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
E320
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on buying a pre-owned 2001 S430, however, I came across a 2000 exactly as I would like it. Smoke Exterior with Stone Interior. Are there any major drawback with getting a 2000 vs. a 2001. I've heard about some air conditioning problem, but anything else????
Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
It's more than the air con. The overall quality of the 2000 model is worse than the 2001. ...

It's more than the air con. The overall quality of the 2000 model is worse than the 2001. I would recommend not to get the first model year of any car.
Some early problems may not have been fixed by the previous owner.

·
Registered
E320
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't understand...

What does "overall quality" mean? Can you give any specific examples? Asthetically, and mechanically the car is identical between 2000 and 2001. When I drive them, they feel the same. I don't know what you mean by overall quality. Outside of the AC problem mentioned, I haven't heard anything else. Any more information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
When the first model year comes out, there tends to be minor problems with various things ...

When the first model year comes out, there tends to be minor problems with various things around the car. These usually get fixed later on. Here is a few I can think of:

1. Rain sensing wipers were problematic earlier.
2. If you touch and "feel" the dash and doors, the fit and finish is not as good as a later model.
3. Many hinges seem to be a bit loose. They get tougher and harder later on.
4. Reliability is not as good in early years.
( According to JD Power.)
5. COMAND may not function properly.

Maybe the 2000 car I was looking at was a lemon. If the example you are seeking looks okay and you can't tell the difference, go for it. My dealership has around 6 2000 S-Classes for months now- no one seems to want to buy them.

·
Registered
E320
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see...

Ok, now it makes much more sense. These are things that I wouldn't have noticed on a test drive. I'm sure they would come back to bug me down the road. 2001 it is! Thanks for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts