Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is such a simple little thing but it has seemed like quite a pain trying to get it replaced so far. I've attached Pictures to show what it is I'm talking about. I got the car with it gone, but my biggest worry besides the aesthetic purpose is that if it rains/water gets on the car, it's going to go into that black door panel thing and I have no idea what it can or possibly would harm when a bunch of it gets in there.

The Dealer said they don't carry that piece and I'd have to buy the whole black piece for the doors which is too high a cost for such a little thing IMO.

Any recommendations on what I could do....Perhaps my best bet is to go to a Hardware Store and ghetto rig it with some black rubber and super glue??

·
Registered
2000 S430
105 Posts
If dealer fails go to Ebay , search for W220 and yo will find some people or junkyards there that sell parts from wrecked or too expensive to fix W220s. Send them a email asking about that piece of rubber .

·
Registered
MB CL500(C215);SL55(R129), SL63(R230)
486 Posts
This is such a simple little thing but it has seemed like quite a pain trying to get it replaced so far. I've attached Pictures to show what it is I'm talking about. I got the car with it gone, but my biggest worry besides the aesthetic purpose is that if it rains/water gets on the car, it's going to go into that black door panel thing and I have no idea what it can or possibly would harm when a bunch of it gets in there.

The Dealer said they don't carry that piece and I'd have to buy the whole black piece for the doors which is too high a cost for such a little thing IMO.

Any recommendations on what I could do....Perhaps my best bet is to go to a Hardware Store and ghetto rig it with some black rubber and super glue??
Hi.
The dealer is right you have to buy a new cover. I have lost mine mine a while ago and did the same. But you can relief it only a cosmetic thing. promised.

Cheers, Frank

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Replies. Does anyone know what would happen or if anything would be harmed if rain did in fact get in there? I assume this thing has been gone long enough for water to get in it when the last owner had it, so I'm assuming/hoping it's not bad.

I'm gonna try and find some Junkyard type S Classes hopefully somewhere to maybe just try and rip it off. If not that I think the only option would be to buy a new piece....

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,949 Posts
Frank S500 is absolutely correct. I had to replace one as well on my '00 - about $65. Destroyed the old one getting it off, the tape holding it on is tough stuff.

As I recall, the rubber piece (on the new one) extended about an inch into the metal moulding, and was also firmly glued. It wasn't something easily removed. Perhaps you can cut one off of a salvage yard car, but affixing it to your old part may be tough. Might be worth a try.

I elected just to replace it myself - although removing the old glue and tape foam was difficult (and must be done to ensure proper fit).

Relying on memory from several years back - I did not see that water would leak into the inside of the door, but I don't recall all that clearly. It just looked a lot better after being fixed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks again guys. My main concern until I was able to get it properly fixed in the next week or so was if water got in there something would happen. Good to know that *hopefully* isn't the case.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, last question. So I know this sounds bad, but I was able to get a piece of plastic and slightly make-shift it to be exactly like the piece is supposed to look, I mean you wouldn't even be able to tell. Now my question is, if I do in fact decide to glue this thing on (not sure yet, but just asking hypothetically I guess for my own info at least), what would the safest/strongest Glue to use on paint? Or is there no "safest", as in, Super-Glue for example, meaning I'm sure it'll stay on forever (?) but obviously once it's on, it wont be pretty underneath if it ever came off....?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,949 Posts
Super Glue (Cyanoacrylate) products are usually not waterproof, and while they resist pulling forces (lifting off the paint), they do not resist shear forces (pushing sideways on the paint) very well. The plastic could come off easily in a car wash, or even heavy wind, especially after exposure to weather.

I suggest a silicone based product such as "Goop" that can be found at home supply stores. It is waterproof, provides adequate "sticking" power in all directions, allows the plastic to be carefully removed with a thin blade without damaging paint, and it is soluble in a number of chemicals (some sold as "Goop remover" or "Goof-Off").

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, good to know, thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts