Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 98 ML320 with 83k. In the past week this problem has happened 2x.After a short drive and then letting it sit It starts fine and when starting to accelerate at a slow speed it just dies!!!! It will still turn over (fast)..battery is good but will not start for 10mins or so(just cranks) and then it will start again!!!!weird.. I checked all my fuses and they seem ok..Never had this happen before, could it be something on its way out ie: fuel pump or something electrical? Can someone point me in a direction before I bring it to a repair shop....Thanks Kevin
[:(]

·
Registered
1999 ML430
9 Posts
I had the very same problem on my 99 ML430, very sporatic. The mechanic was scratching his head and going (in what I felt) was the wrong direction. See if you can get a code on it. I suggested the crank sensor and was correct. No problems since![:D]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy,
How would I go about getting a code? Do I have to bring it to the dealer or a reg. mechanic? How many miles were on your ML when it did this....and what year did it happen.ie this year or in 99?.This is weird because it starts fine every time,it happens when you start to accelerate and both times it did it going slow..Then you wait about 10-15 mins and it starts!!!! Is that sensor easy to change? What does it cost?Will the code call out the crank angle sensor? I was thinking it could be a fuel pump on its way out?I like you do not want a mechanic r/r everything untill he finds it,lol...Sorry for the barrage of questions....Kevin

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
KCML320 - 5/4/2005 7:25 PM

Happy,
How would I go about getting a code? Do I have to bring it to the dealer or a reg. mechanic? How many miles were on your ML when it did this....and what year did it happen.ie this year or in 99?.This is weird because it starts fine every time,it happens when you start to accelerate and both times it did it going slow..Then you wait about 10-15 mins and it starts!!!! Is that sensor easy to change? What does it cost?Will the code call out the crank angle sensor? I was thinking it could be a fuel pump on its way out?I like you do not want a mechanic r/r everything untill he finds it,lol...Sorry for the barrage of questions....Kevin
welcome to the board.
But I must advise you to please try using the search button. Your questions/issues are well documented in previous posts.

Your fellow forum members will be much more apt to help you after you've done some legwork on your own first.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
9 Posts
Hey KCM

My 99ML430 started its misbehaving episode at about 52,000 miles. Retrieving the code unfortunately requires a scanner (hence a mechanic, cause a scanner is min. 2K) As for the location I have'nt looked on this particular vehicle, because the work was performed under warranty (not factory) by the dealership I purchased it from. If you really would like to know more about your ML, I suggest subscribing to Alldata.com. It costs about $25.00 and you can get alot of info. The info comes in somewhat of a PDF file format.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
My money is on the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) [;)]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone who replied to my question!![8)]HAPPY ML430,AZINN and NEFUM you were all correct!!!! It died 2x on the way to the repair shop(45 mins) untill it started the first time 2nd time I coasted into the shop,lol...[xx(]
Iam also having them put in the upgraded fuel filter and lines since it was never changed..Final cost is about $400.00 does that seem too high[:0] Anyway Iam happy I found such a good source of knowledge..Thanks Again
Kevin[:D]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just replaced the crank sensor yesterday on my 1998 ML320 in the dealer for $400. Wish I have seen this forum before. My problem is intermittent and happened twice and can restart right away until this sunday it
died in the middle of the road and cannot restart anymore and have to be towed to the dealership.
My car is only 55000 Km.
Looks like this is a very common problem for this car.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
Is CPS same as "Reference Sensor" ?
On some of the on-line parts places, I don't see CPS. However, I see Reference Sensor.

·
Registered
98 ML320& 05 ML350SE
147 Posts
CPS

Just replaced the CPS in our 98ML yesterday! US$254 including diagnostics and fuel pressure check http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1210924&posts=1&fid=29

1 - 12 of 12 Posts