Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E430 Sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I left my kids in the car for two minutes and one of them dropped the keys to our other cars into the slot next to where the factory phone is, i can't fit my hand or the kids as its too narrrow and need to recover these fast.

Anyone know how i can remove the cell phone panel or the entire cell phone assembly to reach in?

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
I have an eyeglass cubby there, but it probably hooks in the same way.

If you remove either the climate-control pushbutton unit or the ashtray, you should be able to reach the single plastic clip at the back of the unit. It needs to be pushed down (I think, maybe it's up) and the whole assembly with the wood lid slides out.

Of course, if you remove the ashtray, you will probably find your key without removing the telephone. Two screws hold the ashtray in place, but the wood trim panel around the shifter must be raised (you don't have to completely remove it).

·
Registered
1998 E430 Sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matt, i'll try to remove the ashtray assembly first and see if that works, always knew that dark hole would give me a headache one day, and sure enough, today is the day...oh well.... things could always be worse.

cheers!

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Just do

the step of the shifter wood lift out,no need to unhook the wires,then you will see the two screws at the base of the ash tray remove them lift out the ash tray and slide your hand up and behind the eye glass cubby and you will feel the tab that needs to be pressed to remove the cubby.That way you wont need the special keys to pull the climate control.
Step 1
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
1998 E430 Sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
heyyy waddya know, it worked, pretty simple, put the gear sel lever in N or all the way down, lifted the black cover around the wood trim on gear sel, lifted the entire wood trim, it just comes up easily, never knew that, never tried it, then removed the two screws Matt mentioned, and just remove the ash try, in fact found the missing square cube thingie had fallen into the back, pushed all the way back by previous owner i guess, it was full of some toll reciepts and a $5 bill, found a new pair of pliers as well, seems he was trying to recover something (or the black cube box)

btw the black cube box goes in from the back.

Thanks again Matt and ohlord.....yayyyyy!!!!

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Good job

:thumbsup:
now you can drive the other cars:D
ohlord:bowdown:
and get a gallon of gas with the 5bucks the other guy lost:eek:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
:( I have yet to make money working on my car...

But I'm not about to invest in kids to help me find any!! :D

Seriously, glad you were able to get it resolved without too much of a headache.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts