Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the '90 560SEC. Front is too high but rear is just perfect. Taking suggestions on how to lower the front suspension on this thing.

Suggestions welcome...

P.S. my birthday today - and the SEC's not back with me, still.... :(

Attachments

·
SuperModerator
13,202 Posts
Similar to my previous height. Can u see how many little 'tits' u can see on the rubber hat at the top of the springs on the front? Might need a flashlight or jack it up. U should be able to see little tabs, one two three or four, and I think they correspond with 8,13,18 & 23mm. So basically if u have the thickest size in there u could try the 8 or 13mm spring pads.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
thinner shim as mentioned prior..:)

you Should be able to see what thickness you have just by looking up under the fender well w/ a flashlight...

Happy Birthday Dude!

J

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shim? Hmm, I wonder what would prompt someone to do that - I'd have thought the springs were changed out for some different shim-less ones and thereby causing the increased ride height. I'll take a look under there once the car comes back in. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Basically spring pads are not for height adjustment. All they are good for is leveling things, since from smallest to biggest, they only give ~1/2" change. If nothing else is wrong, and this is the way it sits, a spring cut or replacement may be a solution.
In the W-210 section, many of us have done this. I personally have cut both cars springs, and am pleased with the effect and ride of both (no noticable change except tighter cornering).

aardvark
Just passing through.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Bondavi,

my car used to sit the exact same way. I replaced the cut springs with new springs from autohausaz. Once the car was lowered back down the rear was decent and the front was WAY to high. When first changed, I didn't pay attention to the shim but after some advice over on mbcoupes back in the day I checked - 1 nib. That's when I knew new springs were a must and went with H&R's.

Maybe it's possible that someone replaced the old springs with new ones that are just to long?

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Happy Birthday!!!

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
That happened on my 190E. It looked like a 4wd.
Cut about 3/4 twist off and notice the ride height. Drive it, and let them settle in. If you think it needs more, cut again.
Problem with buying aftermarket is you have no clue what height you will get. If you are worried, get a used set from a yard and keep em handy in case you cut too much.
I don't know your car, but you may need a clamshell type spring compressor (as many Benz's do).
And DON'T torch em off, cut em with a cutting wheel and keep the metal cool, or you'll take the temp out of the metal.

Seriously spend time in the W210 search section.

aardvark

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
+1 on the springs. My car was the same way until I installed H&R's and Bilstein HD's. I have 1 nub (front) and 3 nub (rear) to give it a slight rake.

Happy B-day!!!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THANKS for the birthday wishes!

This here is where I'd like to get the car to sit, as low, as the AMG next to it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
THANKS for the birthday wishes!

This here is where I'd like to get the car to sit, as low, as the AMG next to it.

My 300 SD was that high when I first got it. I cut one coil out of each front spring which dropped the front about 1 inch. Otherwise, H&Rs or AMGs ($$$$) are the way to go.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I assume that the stock springs are installed and the rear height was acheived by adjusting the SLS valve.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Bondavi, my SEC has exactly the same stance and issue with the front as yours.

I am tempted to just cut a coil off to correct it as like yours the back sits fine.
(all spring suppliers seem to only sell 4 as a kit $$$$)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
17 Participants
Panzerkampfwagen CXXVI
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing