Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 560SEC
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know I have not been active on this website as much but hopefully I'll become more frequent. However, I need help with something. My father and I recently purchased a mint condition 1997 mercedes sl500 with 45000 original miles from beverly hills (beautiful black on black). Lately though, the car turns off alot when driving at low speeds and even at park, I cant get it to rev higher than 1200 rpm. We took it to the dealer and they tried discussing this issue with other MB mechanics around the US to consider the expected the cause. Check engine came on sometimes reading crank shaft position sensor which we replaced both. Then we replaced the mass air flow sensor but no change at all. Now, check engine still comes on reading the crank shaft sensor which we already replaced both of them. We removed the gas tank and thought their might be any water or moisture so we left it open over night to dry. Now, it is just sitting in the garage enjoying its looks but not the drive. Please someone help with this. We love the car and cant wait to enjoy it even more before the summer ends. So any advice or ideas will help. Thanks

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
...We took it to the dealer and they tried discussing this issue with other MB mechanics around the US to consider the expected the cause.
Did they hooked it up to their SDS and see if there are DTC? What kind of diagnosis did they perform?

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Did you check the throttle actuator ? Sounds like the electronic part isn't working. There is a switch on the accelerator pedal that needs to work, or the TA goes into limp home mode. There is a guy named victor in new York that has a video showing that process. Search the name with wiring issues. Your year supposedly doesn't have wiring issues, but maybe your TA is goofy !

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 560SEC
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hey guys, first of all, thank you for replying to my thread. You guys really showed me that some people actually care. Replying to edcarls, yes we did replaced the fuel filter with a new one but no good results. Replying to mbvis, to be honest I have no clue what exact diagnosis they performed to the vehicle but it has been there for a good week and no one really knew how to resolve the issue. However I will let you know. Replying to tdoriot, I will check it and let you guys know; thanks for the video. Thank you very much for all your replies and i'll get back with you all soon.

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
I bought my 600 with major LHM ( limp home mode) and ASR. (A$$ Reamer) issues. Like you guys, just looking at the triple black flawless work of art in my garage was a heady treat ! Plan A was to solve the problems and drive it ! Plan B was to throw out the living room furniture, buy a turn table and enjoy it as art work !
Integrated into your acellerator pedal is a microswitch. Check the continuity and operation of that switch. As per Victors video, if that switch doesn't work, you have only the mechanical throttle. I'm pretty sure that this is a on/off switch. I have a new one I bought a new one in the quest to solve my problem, but that wasn't my issue. Mine was totally degraded Throttle actuator wiring. Keep us posted. In the meantime, check all fuses and even computer pin connections, as well as all the wiring at the battery. As you might have gathered these cars are really sensitive to voltage !
Finally, perhaps all of this is simply an figment of your imagination ! After all, no pictures, it doesn't exist ! :D

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 560SEC
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sup guys, well.... I had to put my babies in storage for the winter. I did not get a chance to touch the sl500 lately regarding the throttle/idle issue. I disconnected all there batteries before i covered them and parked them for the winter since I figured that these machines are sensitive to any difference in flow of electricity. Keep you guys posted soon. Btw, last week I was so close to buying a ML55 AMG. It had 136k on it but I wanted it for the winter but it brought to much money (auction shit heads that over bid on anything unique). Oh well....I'll post pics soon

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 560SEC
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought my 600 with major LHM ( limp home mode) and ASR. (A$$ Reamer) issues. Like you guys, just looking at the triple black flawless work of art in my garage was a heady treat ! Plan A was to solve the problems and drive it ! Plan B was to throw out the living room furniture, buy a turn table and enjoy it as art work !
Integrated into your acellerator pedal is a microswitch. Check the continuity and operation of that switch. As per Victors video, if that switch doesn't work, you have only the mechanical throttle. I'm pretty sure that this is a on/off switch. I have a new one I bought a new one in the quest to solve my problem, but that wasn't my issue. Mine was totally degraded Throttle actuator wiring. Keep us posted. In the meantime, check all fuses and even computer pin connections, as well as all the wiring at the battery. As you might have gathered these cars are really sensitive to voltage !
Finally, perhaps all of this is simply an figment of your imagination ! After all, no pictures, it doesn't exist ! :D
ImageUploadedByAG Free1353174349.316881.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Midnight blue
113 Posts
HELP!!! My 1997 Mercedes

Have you checked your catalytic converters?
Have seen several cars like this (not Merc., though)
JimV

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 560SEC
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point, but I don't think it's from the cats because if they were clogged or something, usually you can smell it and tends to heat up and turn bright orange red as you look underneath the car. I just have to wait till spring time... Oh well. thanks for the tip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts