Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML55 AMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ML'ers
I read thru several posts on wheel and tire widths but couldn't get the definative answer I need. I was told by the tire guy that I should go staggered 20"x8.5" front and 20"x9.5" rear with respective tires sizes 275/40/20 and 295/40/20. Is this set up good for an ML55?

Personally, I would prefer to go same size for all @ 20"x9.5" rims with tires size 295/40/20. Please let me know what works best with triggering the traction, affecting the speedo.

Thanks
Riq

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
Staggered can look cool on some vehicles.. but I believe the primary reason for running a wider rear tire is for traction and putting more power to the ground in Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) applications. Since the ML is AWD it makes that benefit moot and it may befuddle the traction control. So then all you have is looks to maybe justify a staggered setup. Which then you enter the domain of opinion. At which point I opine that it may look a bit goofy.

295 sticky summer tires should give you some nice good grip. Width wont affect the speedo... overall diameter will. The stock diameter is around 29".. many people here run slightly bigger 29-32. I run 30.5" and its really only a small change. When i pass those signs in school zones and random places that flash your speed its always exactly on the money for me.

hope that helps

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
In addition to pdxgrease's comments, avoid the staggered look which, in my humble opinion, never looks great on a truck/SUV.

IF you must purchase aftermarket wheels/tyres ensure that the overall diameter of the entire package is as close to the stock diameter as possible.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,516 Posts
Agree with comments thus far. One thing that I can't get a good graps on is whether to go 40 or 45 aspect ratio. The 40 seems pretty low profile and may leave too much gap between tire and fender, even with 20s. The 45 seems to fill that gap better. Also, has anyone ran 295s up front? No rubbing? I have 285/45 F/R on 19s and was thinking to go up to 295s.

·
Registered
2000 ML55 AMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I'm going to stick with same width on all fours. I want 295 but I think that is a real stretch on fronts and 45 is too tall without having to lower the ML. Safe bet seems to be either 275 or 285x40x20 without affecting ride quality and is as close to the overall OEM set up.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm going to stick with same width on all fours. I want 295 but I think that is a real stretch on fronts and 45 is too tall without having to lower the ML. Safe bet seems to be either 275 or 285x40x20 without affecting ride quality and is as close to the overall OEM set up.
From my years on this Forum and viewing of pictures of members who have installed 20" wheels on their trucks, the optimum tyre size (looks meaty and fills in the wheel well nicely) if you are NOT lowering the truck is:

275/45/20.

Don't bother getting any other size.

·
Registered
2000 ML55 AMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! so 45 works, great! Here's a pic of the rims 20x9.5. Looking at P-zeros for tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Very nice looking wheels!

I can't wait to see pictures of them installed.

Promise to post pictures? :bowdown:

·
Registered
ML-55 - 2000,
902 Posts
Agree with comments thus far. One thing that I can't get a good graps on is whether to go 40 or 45 aspect ratio. The 40 seems pretty low profile and may leave too much gap between tire and fender, even with 20s. The 45 seems to fill that gap better. Also, has anyone ran 295s up front? No rubbing? I have 285/45 F/R on 19s and was thinking to go up to 295s.
I ran 295/45 all around with no rubbing. Infact thats the specific tire size recommended by AMG for their 19" wheels.
I recently changed to Michelin 285/45 Latitudes and so far like them....

·
Registered
2000 ML55 AMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Help! ML55 Wheel and tire width - Pics posted

FAR888, Rims installed! Pics as promised :thumbsup:

Rims: 20 x8.5
Tires: Rodian HP 295x40x20. Works great, no issues.

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
looking good! You got any other plans?

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG (Silver)
1,149 Posts
I have to strongly disagree with you guys. The staggered look can also look good with the right wheels and such. HEres my opinion though on what you should to. To avoid confusing the awd system, run staggered size wheels but the same width tires all around. ie: I run 20x9s, and 20x10s with 275/45/20 all around. They are 29.2" overall diameter. I had an issue with the car computer finding the truck had one wheel spinning slightly faster or slower then the rest. Turned out my aligned was wacked out. Hadn't been done in over a year so once I did that, never had a problem again. Truck runs like a dream on the 20s, great handling. I did use 10mm spacers all around. I only needed them in back, and could have probly gotten away with 5mm but I wanted a wider track all around and it wanted it to be the same front and rear. Im extremely pleased with my results and I get compliments on them all the time.

In addition to pdxgrease's comments, avoid the staggered look which, in my humble opinion, never looks great on a truck/SUV.

IF you must purchase aftermarket wheels/tyres ensure that the overall diameter of the entire package is as close to the stock diameter as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
oops...didnt real the whole thread before i posted that reply. Saw you already got some wheels...they look cool btw, good choice! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
FAR888, Rims installed! Pics as promised :thumbsup:

Rims: 20 x8.5
Tires: Rodian HP 295x40x20. Works great, no issues.
Very very nice indeed Riqv!:thumbsup:

Looks meaty and fills in the wheel/fender gap well.

Did you have to use spacers?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
found an issue running 295/45/20s on my wheels. Those tires are rated for a 9.5" rim and higher...My front rims are 9"s. Those 295/40/20s that you have on the 20x8.5s are very wide for that rim. While they may look and feel fine, they will get a bit squirlly if you really push them. I did some digging online and the general consensus is that 295 is optimal width for a 10" rim. While I could easily squeeze 295/45/20s on my 9" fronts that doesnt mean they are the optimal or will yield optimal performance. In fact I came across many people that said they ran 295s on 9" rims and they seemed fine. But who knows if those people really pushed them. The narrower rims dont give enough sidewall support to the tires. Those 295/40/20 on those 20x8.5s are way too wide for those wheels. While it may seem to perform fine it is very far from the optimal setup in terms of performance. Im not knocking anyone but this is what Im finding out, and finding it out in more then on place. I am now starting to think I should stick to the 275/45/20s all around. I could run a staggered setup, which according to many, is fine on our trucks, Id rather stay the same all around. IVe found people that ran a staggered setup with no problems on our trucks. I like the look of my staggered rims, But I think Id rather stick to the convenience and piece of mind of running the same tire all around. This was the compromise I chose when I decided to run a staggered rim setup with staggered lip sizes on my truck and I wouldnt choose another setup. I love the look and the wide rear 10"s. Im just starting to think now I should Go with the better rim/tire setup in terms of performance and that would be 275/45/20s all around. Far if you wanna run 295/45/20s, and wanna run the same width rims on all corners I would definitely go with 20x10s all around or even better 20x10.5s. Do a little digging and reading and I think youll agree. Im open to any other schools of thought here, as I had to look else where to find it myself. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts