Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 1988 300 sel, it won't start. Here is my story:
I was driving to work when is was raining badly, went over some big puddles that went over the hood, the next morning car won't start. There is a new starter in place(put in before this happened), but when i turn on the ignition, nothing. the lights inside the car work, radio still works, so i don't think it could be electrical. what could it be??? need soee help asap. thanks

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Clarify something.

When you turn the key all the way to the "Start" position, does the engine crank over?

-Dave

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
If your battery is more than 4 years old, chances are it is losing some juice inside. Although the light, radio ...etc, work, it just doens't have the amp power to give it a good crank on the starter. Check to see if you have at least 12 volt.

·
Registered
1988 420SEL, for sale
317 Posts
One way to test your battery yourself is to measure the voltage on it while having someone crank the engine. If the car starts too soon or too easily you can temporarily disconnect the high tension lead from the coil that goes to the distributor. If the voltage of the battery drops below 10.5vdc then the battery needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep I agree,it COULD be elecrical. Pull the battery cables and clean the posts and clamps. Also check your ground wire from the battery. Since the starter has been replaced, I'd double check all the wire connections to it also. You can also check for current going to the starter. I don't know the gassers but you may want to see if there is a starter relay fuse also.

·
Registered
280SE 1985
25 Posts
youngil006 - 3/5/2005 11:48 AM
I was driving to work when is was raining badly, went over some big puddles that went over the hood,
I dont know if your case would be the same as mine. Same thing, I went over big puddles, continue driving, listened to few more songs and suddenly engine stopped at the lights. Gotten pulled to nearby workshop,soaking wet, and that honest mechanic just take one look at the recharger (they called it rectifier here )- that unit half-way down the middle of engine compartment-easily visible- to keep your battery charged up.- and he just plug one hanging cable back into the socket, jump start, and all back to normal.

The rectifier cable was unplugged due to sheer force of water bcoz I was speeding at like 120kmh ( new tires gave me that level of confident)., the battery can retain some voltage until the wiper and headlight
used them up.(in my case) , but can never be replenished with that cable out.

Hope that'll help.

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts