Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1997 C280 (Cambria).
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Iv been feeling a little "slow" lately. I want to get more juice from this wonderful engine, but am kinda afraid to try. I want my engine to last forever but I also would like a bit more get up and go when I feel the itch. I am eventually going to have it lowered, but as for the engine I figured I would start with the intake first and then do a whole new exhaust system.

Now Im not sure whether to buy a cold air intake kit or ram air. Iv always been told ram air is better. But Iv also been told a good cold air intake setup is better.... From the pricing Iv been seeing online Im looking at anywhere from $200-$600 for a good intake setup.

But, Im also aware this engine has an air pump. So Im wondering how a new intake would effect that. Im certain that this engine can handle some more power. And you dont really ever see people tuning mercedes. If someone could kindly point me in the direction of a good place to buy aftermarket engine parts for mercedes that would be great. If there is such a place that sells performance parts for mercedes, I dont think its in too high demand...

After I get the intake sorted out I was going to look into a new exhaust system. First thing Ill do is try and find some AMG chrome tips for looks and when I got the money I was thinking a full on flowtech system. As I saw a video of a C280 on youtube that had a flowtech system and it sounded astonishing.

Basically, this all is coming from me tired of hearing my neighbors integra every night. I give him props for finally taking the huge rear wing off, but he still has the fart can on it and the sound of fart cans just drive me insane. And hearing one everyday, I need a place I can go to escape.

Someone on this website also said that a new intake will effect the sound of the engine. Does anyone know of any truth to this?

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Personally, I have never understood the urge to modify a perfectly operating luxury car such as the C280 but below is a website which can help you achieve your ultimate goal of more speed and better engine sound:

More Speed and Better Sound From Your W202

·
Registered
1997 C280 (Cambria).
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I have never understood the urge to modify a perfectly operating luxury car such as the C280 but below is a website which can help you achieve your ultimate goal of more speed and better engine sound:

More Speed and Better Sound From Your W202
Haha. Thanks for that. I wish I had the money for an AMG. But I dont. But as I was driving along today this shiny red beauty caught my eye at a dealer! Its not a true AMG, but its still pretty and they said they wanted $4900 for it but it has "unknown" mileage.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

But more to the point. While I was out today I first went to AutoZone in town to check out this ScanGauge 2 thing I came across while looking at the GReddy Informeter. I much like the GReddy but it appears its made for more japanese cars. And so far the SG2 looks universal. If anyone has one please let me know how well it works on mercedes. Im just looking for something that gives me a voltage reading, mpg, and if possible horsepower.

While I didnt have the funds for the SG2 (have to wait till next week) I bought this instead:

Anyone else think that just brings my interior together? Id like to find a chrome silverstar to put over the one on my steering wheel if possible. My trunk emblem is too big so thats out.

Also, before I went home I checked into the local muffler shop that has in the past helped me with a custom exhaust system on a previous car. The guy there said he wouldnt touch it and they didnt have any aftermarket stuff for it aside from tips and mufflers but as for headers there was nothing. Sad day :(

So it looks like I may be SOL on getting more power from my engine. If anyone else can help me that would be great.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,593 Posts
I think you may have caught the nasty Ricer-gonorrhea type A bug. The only solution is to repeatedly kick yourself in the balls. Normally MB owners are immune to the RG but rarely some are not. I hope you get well soon.

:)

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
I think you may have caught the nasty Ricer-gonorrhea type A bug. The only solution is to repeatedly kick yourself in the balls. Normally MB owners are immune to the RG but rarely some are not. I hope you get well soon.

+1 A louder exhaust to compete with a Honda? Go apologize to your car promptly.

Really the best way to get performance out of your stock 280 is to sell it and buy an AMG. If you know someone or are good at building turbo or super charger setups that's what you should do. Intake and exhaust won't be much of a hp or torque gain for the money you'll spend. One way to improve your car's performance is tires, wheels, brakes and suspension.

·
Registered
c36, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
318 Posts
In general it's hard to make real improvements on these cars power wise without spending some serious $$$ and tearing into the engine. This holds true with most cars these days- manufacturers get them so close (engine tuning which removes safety margin notwithstanding) it's really tough to get meaningful improvements)

With that said, spend the money on cosmetics and suspension and don't waste the cash on "intakes" and fart cans.

MBZ (or any manufacturer for that reason) didn't spend millions of dollars on R&D on their cars only to trip up because they didn't install a K+N filter, 8 pronged chrome plated and LED encrusted spark plugs, coils that claim more output power than the Sun or some other "intake" or to be showed up by "tuners" working out of mom's garage with no money.. Aftermarket industry is loaded with useless snake oil.

That stuff mostly garbage- at least with "intakes" unless you modify the engine to spin higher or increase displacement you are wasting money and most of the time sucking in hot air.

Lowering springs, some nice wheels and a moderate body kit will do wonders for that car without busting the bank.

rjp

·
Registered
c36, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
318 Posts
Haha. Thanks for that. I wish I had the money for an AMG. But I dont. But as I was driving along today this shiny red beauty caught my eye at a dealer! Its not a true AMG, but its still pretty and they said they wanted $4900 for it but it has "unknown" mileage.

Jump on that 124 if the body is nice and solid and otherwise runs good- get the car inspected. Offer them $3200 for it assuming it's not too bad and set some aside to fix the odometer (probably pre 90 car?) As dressed up as that car is it's not worth very much more than that.

rjp

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
MB-W202 your post had me rolling around my office floor in laughter...

:yelrotflmao::yelrotflmao::yelrotflmao:

·
Registered
1997 C280 (Cambria).
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
+1 A louder exhaust to compete with a Honda? Go apologize to your car promptly.

Really the best way to get performance out of your stock 280 is to sell it and buy an AMG. If you know someone or are good at building turbo or super charger setups that's what you should do. Intake and exhaust won't be much of a hp or torque gain for the money you'll spend. One way to improve your car's performance is tires, wheels, brakes and suspension.
I wasnt look for a "fart can". I was looking for SOUND. There are other engine sounds than a civic fart can.....take ferrari for example, those are sounds I wouldnt mind my mercedes having haha. I think it already sounds like a ferrari (just not near as loud and vulgar) but thats just me.

When I said exhaust, I meant replacement all the original pipe and headers with thicker diameter ones to reduce backpressure. Like ricers THINK they are doing when they put that cherry bomb on there. But without doing the entire exhaust, the tip is useless.

As for the intake, I think Iv come up with something. These engines have an air pump right. So instead of trying to run thicker bigger air intake overtop the engine (like it is stock) which would prove almost impossible to do, why dont I just have a hood scoop fitted on the same side near the air pump and just run a short filter intake there? The shorter distance and bigger inlet and better filter would prove some noticeable power increase right? I was thinking I could have all that done for under $100 (only problem is making the hood scoop).

The car was rated at like 197hp at the wheels right? Id be more than happy to get about 250hp out of it (assuming its still producing 197hp, probably not but probably not far off).

There isnt a doubt in my mind that this 2.8 engine can handle more power.

The biggest problem Im seeing is that air pump. Iv never had to deal with an engine that has one, and Im worried that anything I might do with the intake (including turbo) might fuck it up somehow. I also was thinking about a turbo. But my engine has always felt like it already had one hidden somewhere haha. My torque only kicks in at about 3krpms. Its slow as a crx then when it hits 3krpms its gone. Its some wierd stuff. I assume thats when the air pump is fully open? I really should make a video of how fast my car accelerates once it hits 3krpms and just be like "vtec just kicked in yo!".

·
Registered
300CE-24, W204 C220 CDI, W210 E55 AMG, W124 300TE, W163 ML270 CDI
399 Posts
Good luck with your C280, I Think your gunna have a whole lot of fun, and IMO this website isn't the best for asking about performance mods, or any mods at all, most of the people are are quite anal about modifications, thinking a merc should never be touched.

Pod filtering is a good way to extract some power out of it, its not hugely expensive but you will notice the hp boost, Turbo charging is a great way also, if you had the money and time. You simply cannot just bolt a turbo onto this motor unfortunately, there are certain components that will need to be change to handle the extra power. New Headers, and a new muffler system is a great way to go also, Try to get straight pipes, this frees up back pressure.

·
Registered
1997 C280 (Cambria).
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Good luck with your C280, I Think your gunna have a whole lot of fun, and IMO this website isn't the best for asking about performance mods, or any mods at all, most of the people are are quite anal about modifications, thinking a merc should never be touched.

Pod filtering is a good way to extract some power out of it, its not hugely expensive but you will notice the hp boost, Turbo charging is a great way also, if you had the money and time. You simply cannot just bolt a turbo onto this motor unfortunately, there are certain components that will need to be change to handle the extra power. New Headers, and a new muffler system is a great way to go also, Try to get straight pipes, this frees up back pressure.
Whats pod filtering? Yea Im not really looking at a turbo to start with. And if I was going to add a turbo it would be low boost (like 5psi).

But I can understand where people would not want a mercedes to be modified. I can agree that I hate seeing people putting 20inch spinners on a nice mercedes. But as for the engine, I dont see why that shouldnt be modified if it can be. Its always nice to have that little extra something, and as well as these engines are built they can handle it. Im looking for REAL help on trying to get more power from this engine without swapping it or buying an "AMG" (alot are fake on the market like the one I seen at the dealership). Right now, if someone could just help me get more airflow for my intake that would be great. As thats where Im starting. Im going to buy a new air filter (its that time anyway) and I guess Ill try a K&N one to see if it does anything (doubt it).

Iv been watching some videos and I seen some with the exhaust resonator removed. If anyone knows how to do that on this car let me know? Also seen one about removing some kind of silencer in the air intake? Its like a huge restrictor. I dont think this car has it, as Iv had my intake taken apart before and never noticed any restriction in it.

And as I said before, I think modifying the exhaust is out on this one. As I went to my local muffler shop and they wouldnt even do anything custom with it. They said they would only do everything past the catalytic convertors, which wont really help. Since the exhaust is originally setup with a single header and then split into 2 pipes I probably could have it fitted with dual exhaust tips. It runs dual pipes all the way down but both pipes go into a single muffler. Although I dont see any real power gain in doing that.

Sidenote: My old Towncar 4.6L I had that I dumped alot of money into the engine, after all the money I put into the engine last thing I did was cut off the entire exhaust and ran open heads on it. Illegal, yes. But it sounded BEASTLY. Which was ironic cuz like a honda, it was loud but didnt really move haha.

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,488 Posts
You aren't 197hp at the wheels. When a car is rated at 197 bhp/net horsepower that indicates power produced with all drive accessories installed (water pump, power steering, alternator) but not inclusive of driveline losses. Your hp at the wheels will be 80-85% of that 197 number, assuming your car is still making all 197.

·
Registered
1997 C280 (Cambria).
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ricer defines someone who makes cosmetic "improvements" to their car without touching the engine. I, however, am not touching the cosmetics of my car and am only doing the engine. So, kinda the exact opposite of a ricer.... :/

·
Registered
1997 C280 (Cambria).
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You aren't 197hp at the wheels. When a car is rated at 197 bhp/net horsepower that indicates power produced with all drive accessories installed (water pump, power steering, alternator) but not inclusive of driveline losses. Your hp at the wheels will be 80-85% of that 197 number, assuming your car is still making all 197.
I have been told that Mercedes-Benz are rated at the wheels. Iv seen MANY things that state this. Is everyone wrong?

·
Registered
1997 C280 (Cambria).
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So are you going to dyno any of these mods?
Id love to. But I dont know where there is a dyno near me. Id love to dyno it right now to see how much power it still has or doesnt have. Its only a 97 so its still pretty young with 114k miles still runs like new.

I just know she still has power to put you in your seat :) . Pisses my gf off everytime we are driving around and I drop it down a gear and punch it and shes like "omg warn me before you do that!". Haha. But I think she could still use more power.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
....I just know she still has power to put you in your seat :) . Pisses my gf off everytime we are driving around and I drop it down a gear and punch it and shes like "omg warn me before you do that!". Haha. But I think she could still use more power.
Hmmm...I don't know about the C280 having the power to do that (i.e. pin you back into your seat) but maybe I'm just spoilt with the power of my ML55 AMG.:D

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I just know she still has power to put you in your seat :) . Pisses my gf off everytime we are driving around and I drop it down a gear and punch it and shes like "omg warn me before you do that!". Haha. But I think she could still use more power.
:big laugh::big laugh::big laugh::big laugh: sorry but my porsche would have her yanking the handle to get out.

As for the intake, I think Iv come up with something. These engines have an air pump right. So instead of trying to run thicker bigger air intake overtop the engine (like it is stock) which would prove almost impossible to do, why dont I just have a hood scoop fitted on the same side near the air pump and just run a short filter intake there? The shorter distance and bigger inlet and better filter would prove some noticeable power increase right? I was thinking I could have all that done for under $100 (only problem is making the hood scoop).

The car was rated at like 197hp at the wheels right? Id be more than happy to get about 250hp out of it (assuming its still producing 197hp, probably not but probably not far off).

There isnt a doubt in my mind that this 2.8 engine can handle more power.

The biggest problem Im seeing is that air pump. Iv never had to deal with an engine that has one, and Im worried that anything I might do with the intake (including turbo) might fuck it up somehow. I also was thinking about a turbo. But my engine has always felt like it already had one hidden somewhere haha. My torque only kicks in at about 3krpms. Its slow as a crx then when it hits 3krpms its gone. Its some wierd stuff. I assume thats when the air pump is fully open? I really should make a video of how fast my car accelerates once it hits 3krpms and just be like "vtec just kicked in yo!".
OOOOH MY GOD NO. that wouldn't add performance at all....I have no clue about your engine having an "air pump" BUT a free flow exhaust won't help u much unless you throw on a better intake including a manifold.

you should just restore your car and buy another. it's not a ford or chevy big block....oh and tuning your car and pulling mad HP out of it will destroy your chances of it running a long time. just freshen up your fluids, do a tune up and save for another car =/

1 - 20 of 40 Posts