Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320W
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
brake light problem. When I start the car in the morning (sitting all night), the ESP, BAS, ABS, Lamp Defective messages appear and the ESP and ABS/BAS dash lights come on. I then toggle through the dash messages to clear these. The dash lights stay on. If I hit the brakes, I get the Lamp Defective message and I have no brake lights. If I drive - mostly highway - for 30 miles, eventually the brake lights work (I don't get the Lamp Defective message).

At this time, if I were to stop and turn the car off and restart, the same messages appear with the dash lights, but then all turn off a few seconds later - as if being reset - and then no problem until the car sits for another 4-5 hours.

I have replaced the brake switch with a MB dealer switch, checked all fuses, and replaced the battery. I have not received the Check Battery/Alternator light. I have also checked the battery terminal connections and cleaned the engine ground connections (driver side).

It seems to me that the brake switch is fine (it works sometimes). Could it be a charging issue even though I haven't had the battery/alternator light?:confused:

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,694 Posts
Each message stays on the display (you can hide it by pressing button) and will reaper at the engine shut down. Sounds like this is your main concern?
Why you are getting message is another story. Are all light bulbs working?
The low battery voltage in the morning might be a case as well. Try one night to leave it under charger?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
It sounds much more like the bad connections issue with the sockets for the brake lights, perhaps the taillights as well. I think I would pull the housings (easier than working on them in the car) and clean all of them up and do a proper inspection. Solder up ones that need more contact surface.

Good luck.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
The low battery voltage in the morning might be a case as well. Try one night to leave it under charger?
I didn't get that from his message; I thought he said he didn't get that warning? :confused: If he is that would be another clue. But given how troublesome the taillight housings/sockets/connections can be, I think I'd still start with cleaning and inspecting those first.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
You may have 2 different problems at the time.
>>I get the Lamp Defective message and I have no brake lights.
The burned contact for brake light usually occurs on one side to make 1 brake light light stay off. The burned area may cause intermittent problem. You wrote "...I have no brake lights...", were all brake lights (left right center) not working or just one?
>>I have replaced the brake switch with a MB dealer switch
It's important to correctly position the spring loaded "plunger" of the brake light switch before installing it. Take out the switch, test with an ohmmeter.

·
Registered
2002 E320W
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mbvis et al. - Thanks for the replies. To answer your questions - all brake lights are out (not just one side) and to replace the switch, I pull out the plunger, press on the brake pedal, install switch, and release pedal.

As an update, yesterday and today has been wet and 20 degrees warmer than the past week. I have brake lights and no dash messages or lights - go figure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts