Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

The picture I have attached is my not so beautiful SLK, I have spent a fortune on restoring it, but I am now stuck with the roof not opening. My mechanic has had a go at sorting out the roof, but it fails to open, I have also tried a car electrician, but no joy, I had it checked by local Mercedes garage and they confirmed that because it was hit, the roof might have been misaligned when the mechanic was repairing. They say the roof might never open again. Please SLKer's Does any one know who can help me overide the sensor so that the roof open or alligned all the joints and carnnies so that it autoamtically works, or is there another system i can install to open this roof. Mercedes are not helping on this... The SLK is no good to me if I cannot have the roof down during summer. I am really in a jam; I bought the car from auction and didn’t know how important the alignment is due to some sensor. I would really be grateful if anyone can save me from the embarrassment of the only slk in this world that the roof doesn’t open.

PS

I have all the pictures before and after its been repaired

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
'99 R170, ('04 W203 SOLD)
76 Posts
How about giving us a few of the symtoms, does the pump run, do you have any red light indication at the roof switch on the console, do you hear the latches disengage, do the windows go down when you try to open the roof?

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Basically the roof doesnt even sound like there is any current flowing through it. The light flashes when am driving the car and a beeping sound. When i press the button, notghing happens absoultely nothing.

Please Help

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 Limited Edition
254 Posts
Is the trunk curtain pulled up? Maybe a problem with that sensor.

I think there all also senors that keep the roof from working if there is resistance to operation, e.g., rolled up towel in the trunk causing a jam in the folding process. Maybe the mechanism is not smooth because of the damage. Can you put it up and down manually?

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers Chris,
I dont want to open it up manually incase i do more damage or bend anything and besides i dont know how to open the roof manually.some one said the 2 cables at the trunk will do it, but am not sure, so i dont want to take the rsik. please educate me on manually openening the roof so i can check whether anything is obstructing the roof also can the sensors be disabled or overridden?

Mark[V]

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Stupid question I know, but i take it you are sliding the "tray" into position in the trunk. The roof won't open if its not in position, but you will get the red light flashing.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I think the roof should ONLY be closed manually, not opened. That's what the cables are for, you pull to release the roof mechanism, and then with the help of another person (you need two people on each side of the car) to lift the roof into position and then you need to fix it in place with a screw by removing the little tab on the roof inside the cockpit near the cabin light area.

Anyway, you want to get your roof working, here's the things I would check.

First make sure the roof hasn't been 'fixed' into position. It might be locked in place by someone who screwed it into place using the method I explained above. So remove the tab on the top of the roof near the cabin light, and turn the screw around to see if you can free up the roof.

You said that when you hold down the switch, you do not hear the roof mechanism working. Do you hear a beeping noise and does the button flash red? If so, a security feature is in place (i.e. the roof will not go down in order to break nothing, usually because a microswitch is broken).

You'll also need to check the oil level of the roof hydraulic mechanism, and that it itself is not damaged.

As such, moving the roof around manually, as long as you're careful, won't 'bend' anything. The roof and trunk are held in place with very strong metal arms, and as long as you take your time, they will not twist and snap or whatever. The trick here is to take your time and use trial and error to find out what is causing the problem.

If I were you, I would take the car to an MB dealer, and negotiate with them to have them check the onboard computer. Roof errors are recorded into the cars log, and they can see where the error is occurring (it will tell you which microswitch is broken).

Once the diagnosis has been done, you will have a better idea of what is wrong. Is it the switch, the microswitches, the roof engine, or is it just blocked. Then you can go about replacing pieces or unblocking the roof.

Having tried it, it's not all that difficult to take apart the rear end of the SLK. Takes time and patience. But tightening the screws of the feet that hold the trunk and roof is a lot harder and you'll need some torque wrenches and stuff. Might not be something you wanna attempt on your own. But if you can pinpoint where the problem is, get a cheap shop to do just that part of the job. Tightening stuff won't take them long and won't cost you much.

Good luck and write back if you've been able to find out more [:)]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
markodu - 4/5/2005 5:57 PM

Thanks

Basically the roof doesnt even sound like there is any current flowing through it. The light flashes when am driving the car and a beeping sound. When i press the button, notghing happens absoultely nothing.

Please Help
The light flashes and a beeping sound is heard if there is a microswitch error.

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi,
please am newbie to merc forum. this is meant to be my 1st ever convertible and its turning into the car from Hell. on the receipt merc gave me after i took it in, it says
"carried out short test, found faults with roof switch, roof hinges is out of alignment"

Does anyone know any roof specailist?

So am not sure whether its the switch or the alignment?

Should mercedes provide me with car log roof after the test was acrried out?

is there any other automatic way of opening the roof? by disabling the switches sensors?

I know , too many questions

if i cant fix this , i would have lost a great deal of money and will eventually sell it at a loss

[V][V][V][V]mark

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
please what tray are you talking about? seeing you live in london, maybe we can meet up and you can help me check some bits out. i live in London too. East

cheers
m

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RE: Is the trunk curtain pulled up? Maybe a problem with that sensor.

Actually i cannot raise the boot lid in the normal way manually when the roof is about to fold. when i try raising the boot, it opens then get stuck. But my concern is even when pressing the switch, there should be at least a clicking noise like the roof is about to open, but in this case nothing.it seems like there is no current flow from the centre console button, although when i drive off, it beeps for like 15secs and then it starts flashing.

should i try and get a new microswitch?

[?]

·
Registered
SLK 280
135 Posts
If it beeps and the light flashes when you drive off, it means that the roof has never completed it's closing/opening procedure. What happens if you press the red roof switch to try and CLOSE the roof ? The other thing to try is the microswitch on the right hand side of the boot. When you pull the screen over you will notice that where it clips into the rear of the boot, on the right hand side, it contacts a black lever. This in turn actuates a microswitch. If you actuate this black lever with your finger and listen carefully - you should hear the microswitch clicking - which at least signifies that it is working.
Maybe when the guy fixed the car - he has knocked off some wires ?
If you PM me, I'll give you my telephone number and you can call me and I'll see if I can help ?

Les

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
please what tray are you talking about? seeing you live in london, maybe we can meet up and you can help me check some bits out. i live in London too. East

cheers
There is a black "pull-out" tray in the boot. It has a handle on it, and is on runners. You need to pull this towards the boot lid, as the roof sits on this when it goes down. It the tray is not in place then the roof won't operate. I don't have any pics to hand right now, maybe some other members have. If not, I'll try and get some later.
I'm happy to meet up. Where in E.London are you.
Also, check the posting on the forum about the UK SLK meet on 23rd April. Maybe you wanna join.

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SLK Roof wont open

Thanks Blue benz

Thank God for Forums like this, i didnt even bother pulling the tray, i just thought it was there to part the boot and where the roof sits, I will try all this stuff you have mentioned. I will also like to join the club you mentioned or attend the get together. please forward me the details.

my location is Hackney East London. I can drive to you if necessary

Many Thanks
M[|)]

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
RE: SLK Roof wont open

check out the pics on this link..
see pic 3rd along, 2nd down.. it shows the black tray in place.

http://jack.porter.net.au/gallery/slk?page=1

The SLK meeting is at Castle Coombe in Swindon on 23rd April. I'll send ya a mail with details

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
The tray MUST be in place to maneuver the roof, but if your MB dealer told you that the logs showed an error with the microswitches, then you need to ask them to tell you exactly which switch it is.

There's several switches in the car, in different places. For example, when you pull the tray in place, it clicks on two switches that tell the car that "the tray is now in place". Then you've got switches up near the cabin light area to tell that the roof is closed. And finally, there's switches when the roof is down and locked in position.

I strongly suggest you drive to that UK meetup and show your car to the other SLK owners. They have a lot more experience with the car, so they might be able to do some extra troubleshooting. But not only this, you will be able to VISUALLY compare your car with the other peoples SLK's. So when you do compare them, take pictures if possible, and try to see if all the hinges of the roof, the trunk, etc all look the same on your car, as they do on someone elses car. Go through every single hinge, bar, cable, etc, and see if your car has the same piece, in the same physical condition/appearance as it is on someone elses car.

If the physical appearance of the car is the same as another persons car, then fixing the roof should not be too problematic. It might be as simple as replacing a microswitch, but you need to know which one it is.

However, that diagnostic log, telling you that there is an alignment problem, does sound problematic. I don't know how the car 'knows' that something is not aligned correctly, but if you cannot see anything wrong with your naked eye, you'll have to strip the rear of the car up quite a lot to see deeper inside if all the braces and stuff are well in place, not being blocked by another piece, not scratching against something, etc...

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SLK Roof wont open

Thanks Lez,

I guess there is more to the SLK roof opertaion than i thought. I will check all the stuff you mentioned.
if i ever get this roof to work i will by tesco house wine for all who has helped "raise the roof"

Cheers
M

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I just thought about it, but if it says that there's an alignment problem, it might be that one switch is registering a bad connection.

We know the roof is currently 'up' and closed. On the top area near the cabin light, you have two micro switches if I remember correctly. They're on each end of the A pillars. Maybe one is registering a fault, and the other one is dead. Thus the car things that the roof is only partly closed and thus 'unaligned'. Therefore, it cannot be opened because it first needs to be closed completely, and this cannot be done until the switches are replaced (which of course do require opening the roof manually first, but should only be done by an experienced mechanic as it's a procedure that requires some gentle attention).

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
roof switches

Thanks Shin!
I have just rexamined the crappy feed back from mercedes, and it says carried out short test found faults with roof switch. shouldn't they have tried changing the switch to see if that will make any difference, i mean i paid £60 for them to tell me something i already know! The problem now is i dont want to go out rushing to buy this switches and still no roof folding!

Men! what a dilemma

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Shing,
I think they just looked at the roof and guessed the roof is not aligned and just fobbed me off with the easiest explanation they can think off. I do sometimes to my customers who dont know a thing about computers, just to serve someone who is more computer literate. I guess what goes around comes around!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts