Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 190e 2.6 was FREE but hadn't been driven since 1999 and only has 112k miles on it so its worth restoring and has sentimental value. id appreciate advice or a thread from someone that has successfully revived a car that has NOT been driven in decades.

Long story short, I went to look under the hood and inspect what work would need to be done on it today. Everything looked fine apart from what i expected to find, dried belts, weak hoses and disintegrating heat shields under the hood and on the fire wall but my main concerns were:

1. Rust around the gas cap
is it likely that there is rust inside the gas tank too? will i need to get a new gas tank? can it be cleaned and reused or should i just brush it off, drain the tank and go ahead with fresh gas and fuel system cleaner? lol what happens if i choose to do nothing and just get fresh gas?

2. a lot of black oil was found around the valve cover and near the spark plugs
can i simply wipe it off and do an oil change, or are my seals likely bad and need replacement? is this evidence of a more serious issue?

if your 190e was brought back from this type scenario any heads up advice and/or repair estimates and guides are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi! Curious how the project is coming? I'm currently doing the same to a 1992 190e 2.6 but its only been idle for a year. Strugging to get it to pass smog only because all of the books say it was supposed to have a check engine light, and this non-california model never did, but that's another story.

Just curious how your project is going?
Thanks!
~Bryan

·
W201 Moderator
2,163 Posts
Hi! Curious how the project is coming? I'm currently doing the same to a 1992 190e 2.6 but its only been idle for a year. Strugging to get it to pass smog only because all of the books say it was supposed to have a check engine light, and this non-california model never did, but that's another story.

Just curious how your project is going?
Thanks!
~Bryan
As far as I know, you can not pass smog on a non-CA car here in California. Hope I am wrong.
Yes the check engine light has to be operational and present.
Maybe there are alternate ways.

·
W201 Moderator
2,163 Posts
my 190e 2.6 was FREE but hadn't been driven since 1999 and only has 112k miles on it so its worth restoring and has sentimental value. id appreciate advice or a thread from someone that has successfully revived a car that has NOT been driven in decades.

Long story short, I went to look under the hood and inspect what work would need to be done on it today. Everything looked fine apart from what i expected to find, dried belts, weak hoses and disintegrating heat shields under the hood and on the fire wall but my main concerns were:

1. Rust around the gas cap
is it likely that there is rust inside the gas tank too? will i need to get a new gas tank? can it be cleaned and reused or should i just brush it off, drain the tank and go ahead with fresh gas and fuel system cleaner? lol what happens if i choose to do nothing and just get fresh gas?

2. a lot of black oil was found around the valve cover and near the spark plugs
can i simply wipe it off and do an oil change, or are my seals likely bad and need replacement? is this evidence of a more serious issue?

if your 190e was brought back from this type scenario any heads up advice and/or repair estimates and guides are greatly appreciated.
Once you are past the fuel system recovery, If I were you I would not hesitate to remove the valve cover, and see if any of the cam lobes, rockers, etc are rusted. Assuming not, I would pour some motor oil on the valve train before closing it up and starting. This is a benign operation and will also tell you a little bit about the health of the valve train after sitting for so long. Valve cover gaskets are re-usable as long as they are not completely shot. Make sure it is still rubbery soft.

Is there any sign of rust in the coolant system? That would not be good either. I took the cylinder head from a '90 at 118K miles and even though the valve train was perfect, and the car was very much cared for, the engine coolant system was very rusty, and some of the head/engine-block coolant passages were blocked by rust. I used the valve train but the head itself was tossed...

Good luck with the revival/restoration

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I would suggest the 2.3-16 restoration thread of "Lomtevas" who is a knowledgeable and experienced member. The engine is different but I learned a lot from his thread and many others around here during my 1989 2.6 restoration work back in 2009.

Brake fluid: Flush/Replace/Bleed. Ensure that your pipes are free from any contamination of dust or other particles. You don't want any dust to get into the ABS system.

Fuel: Replacing all fluids and filters including the fuel filter (after flushing the tank properly) is essential.

Coolant: Check if the cabin heater hose have been isolated from the coolant cycle! if it is, it is an indication of a leaky cabin heater radiator (inside the cabin) and I really hope not as it involves full dash dismantling. You can also loosen the cooling fan tensioner and check the coolant pump bearing play and check if there are any coolant leaks there as well.

Oil: Have you drained the oil already? if there's no sign of "oil milkshake" from the pan, this will provide enough assurance that you don't have any overheating causing a head gasket issue.

Dolucasi is correct with the valve cover removal. it'll also be an opportunity to have a good look into the timing chain as well.

Many other "revival" items can be listed but lets start the engine and ensure that it is leak proof.

Snap pictures, post and ask. Research revival projects and there are many over here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
plinker17722
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing