Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1997 s320, 1994 E320 Cab, 1989 300ce (parting out soon)
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good : 79k miles, overall good shape

What it needs: all new top cylinders. one is leaking...so I know all would have to be replaced... i can tackle this myself. Lights are flashing associated with the top.... i guess that's a reset issue.. he didn't have hydraulic fluid, so i couldn't put the top down.

drivers seat belt extender doesn't work. I happen to have a spare

check engine light on--- my guess is O2 sensor ...

when you step on the brakes-- abs and srs light comes on
don't know about this... i would like to guess OVP... but the car starts right up and runs well.

front drivers seat... seam on seat splitting

needs a good buff...but paint is in good shape , no rust

I am thinking 4k tops.... need some thoughts... they are asking 6500...but know its overpriced...

I pointed out all the defects to them

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has the eco junk wiring been addressed? If not, be prepared to dump up to another 2.5K into it..
wiring harness updated.... sorry for the double post

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You sure those are original miles? I have 137K miles and my seats dojt have rips.
i will do a vin check...but I am pretty sure.... no wear at all in the drivers seat bolster

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed. I have about 115K miles (give or take since I am converting from km in my head) and my seats have almost no visible signs of wear.

What does the steering wheel look like?
perfect...atlhtough.... i might take the Momo steering wheel from my CE to make it sportier

· Registered
2005 E320 CDI
104 Posts
New top cylinders
Cant put top down
Broken seatbelt extender
Drivers seat ripped
Check engine light on
Abs & asr light comes on w stepping on the breaks

I might be in the minority here, but i'd walk away...esp given the last 2 prob. If u plan on buying it, get a pre-purchase inspection.

· Premium Member
1994 Mercedes E320 convertible 1993 Mercedes 300D 2.5 euro 1987 Mercedes 300D. 1985 Mercedes
1,193 Posts
My cabriolet had drivers side presenter not working. Turned out it was $5 door switch. If passenger side is working take switch out and put it onto drivers sode to test. Top cylinders are something it could happed next day you buy car. They are known problems. You could have paid for it and then they stop working when you leave lot. Its just not a car that you will find down the street again. Ripped seat so what easy fix. Just check engine and you will be fine. Want a perfect example? The pay 20K for low mileage mint one

· Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,722 Posts
If they know it is overpriced at $6500,
and the car is sound,
with those low miles confirmed...

I'd drop an offer of $4500,
and buy it at wherever they lower down to. :)

I'd sort out the top first, $400 for rebuilt hydraulics:
Mercedes Cylinders W124 E-Class 1993- 1995 - Top Hydraulics, Inc

I am biased,
I have been driving a Cab as summer car for 6+ years. This winter, I am sending off hydraulics for rebuild, mine still works but has been leaking.

I expect to have this Cab for the next decade. :) Not many around, and worth grabbing one and sorting it out...imo.

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will call tomorrow... and offer 4k..... the owner's son is trying to sell it for his mom...

they don't want to put any money into it...and know all cylinders need to be replaced.

here in Baton Rouge, La.... you don't even see 124 sedans.... i think i have the only CE in town...and this is the only cab that I have seen here....

i am sure they will turn me down.... but i can let them sit on it..... can you imagine trying to buy a convertible where the top won't go down.... and then the abs, srs, and check engine light are on...? that's enough to scare anyone away....

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If they know it is overpriced at $6500,
and the car is sound,
with those low miles confirmed...

I'd drop an offer of $4500,
and buy it at wherever they lower down to. :)

I'd sort out the top first, $400 for rebuilt hydraulics:
Mercedes Cylinders W124 E-Class 1993- 1995 - Top Hydraulics, Inc

I am biased,
I have been driving a Cab as summer car for 6+ years. This winter, I am sending off hydraulics for rebuild, mine still works but has been leaking.

I expect to have this Cab for the next decade. :) Not many around, and worth grabbing one and sorting it out...imo.

are you pulling the cylinders yourself? have you ever done it....seems a bit intimidating for a couple of them

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
are you pulling the cylinders yourself? have you ever done it....seems a bit intimidating for a couple of them
the only way for me to justify buying the car is to do the cylinders myself....

i will have them rebuilt by the good folks who do that sort of thing...

Despite the low mileage... i refuse to dump a lot of money in these cars... your car looks mint.... this car is not mint.... no rust or anything..but to me it's just a car.

if i had 15k...i would love to own a cherry 124 cab....

this one is black with the grey lower cladding... black interior... if it had java or palomino or a saddle interior it would be worth more in my book....

· Premium Member
1994 Mercedes E320 convertible 1993 Mercedes 300D 2.5 euro 1987 Mercedes 300D. 1985 Mercedes
1,193 Posts
the only way for me to justify buying the car is to do the cylinders myself....

i will have them rebuilt by the good folks who do that sort of thing...

Despite the low mileage... i refuse to dump a lot of money in these cars... your car looks mint.... this car is not mint.... no rust or anything..but to me it's just a car.

if i had 15k...i would love to own a cherry 124 cab....

this one is black with the grey lower cladding... black interior... if it had java or palomino or a saddle interior it would be worth more in my book....
There were no cabriolets woth saddle,java interiors.

· Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,286 Posts

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

· Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
There were no cabriolets woth saddle,java interiors.
I have one with a "tan" interior, although not sure of the official color name.

Seat belt extender is usually the switch. I replaced mine more than once. About $15 from the dealer. 30 seconds.

As to cylinders, not expensive to repair. Did this soon after I bought the car. I did a few "while I was there" because the repair of the cylinders is not expensive at all.

Regards.
Jerry

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.