Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Z4 35i, 2010 C350 4m Sedan, 2012 C350 4M Coupe,2011 328xi
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 C350 4M Coupe. What Winter tires is good. Planning to go with Front setup 225/40R18. Read some review say the PA3 is not good. But Consumer
Reprt rate them very high...humm and Bridgestone Lm-3 good review from
users and just so so from Consumer report....

Wonder is the sottozero 240 are they good or not.

Thanks !

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 6 Speed; 2008 E350 4MATIC Sport
955 Posts
2012 C350 4M Coupe. What Winter tires is good. Planning to go with Front setup 225/40R18. Read some review say the PA3 is not good. But Consumer

Thanks !
Worry not about those others. Just go to tirerack.com and order Blizzak WS70. Check out the ratings for snow/ice. We've had two cars on them for three winters and they are outstanding. However, you should reconsider size. Get the smallest wheels/tires which fit with your brakes...16" if possible, if not, no more than 17". You want the narrowest contact patch possible for each tire to increase the psi downward force to the ground to slice through snow, rather than allowing a wider tire to distribute the car's weight and have you ride on top of the snow. Tirerack.com can send the WS70 mounted on low cost winter rims, balanced, ready for a 20 lug nut swap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worry not about those others. Just go to tirerack.com and order Blizzak WS70. Check out the ratings for snow/ice. We've had two cars on them for three winters and they are outstanding. However, you should reconsider size. Get the smallest wheels/tires which fit with your brakes...16" if possible, if not, no more than 17". You want the narrowest contact patch possible for each tire to increase the psi downward force to the ground to slice through snow, rather than allowing a wider tire to distribute the car's weight and have you ride on top of the snow. Tirerack.com can send the WS70 mounted on low cost winter rims, balanced, ready for a 20 lug nut swap.
Thanks ! I was looking at the LM-60 and Ws70 also. I think the Ws70 tire rating at 88T which is 118 mph. I think they are more that good for Winter.
I will don't think I will go any faster than 80 in the city.
And LM-60 (they Call performance winter) which is a "H" series. Might give a little bit better on dry cool weather.

I have Ws60 on my 328ix pretty good but the C350 have 300+ hp. So I think WS70 and LM-60 should be the one.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thanks ! I was looking at the LM-60 and Ws70 also. I think the Ws70 tire rating at 88T which is 118 mph. I think they are more that good for Winter.
I will don't think I will go any faster than 80 in the city.
And LM-60 (they Call performance winter) which is a "H" series. Might give a little bit better on dry cool weather.

I have Ws60 on my 328ix pretty good but the C350 have 300+ hp. So I think WS70 and LM-60 should be the one.
I would not bother with the LM series tires. When you need winter tires, the compromise of a "performance winter" tire is an oxymoron, and provides neither the best winter performance, nor great on dry road high performance. They are aiming for the best of both worlds but you get a great version of neither. Just wait for the winter to arrive, and then install the WS tires at all four corners, and your car will get through the snow and ice very well. In any event, you shouldn't be getting close to any of the speed ratings you mentioned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not bother with the LM series tires. When you need winter tires, the compromise of a "performance winter" tire is an oxymoron, and provides neither the best winter performance, nor great on dry road high performance. They are aiming for the best of both worlds but you get a great version of neither. Just wait for the winter to arrive, and then install the WS tires at all four corners, and your car will get through the snow and ice very well. In any event, you shouldn't be getting close to any of the speed ratings you mentioned.
Thanks for your help. I think I will go for Ws70. Since I have Ws60 on my 328xi and was great no problem and I just notice I have Lm60 mount on Wife 2010 C350 4M sedan...What a Dummy. But I don't drive her car. So I don't how good they are. But she said no problem at all. So WS70 is a good selection.

·
Registered
2015 ML 350 Black/Black
327 Posts

Thanks !

Blizzak's all the way. I use to drive Pirelli's winter tires older model than one you like and they are not as impressive. I think Pirelli overall is overrated brand, they are so-so in any tires types.

·
Registered
2014 - ML350 Bluetec
81 Posts
Nokian winter tires if you can find them. Best winter tires i've ever had and the only brand I use for winter tires now for all of my vehicles. I've had two sets of Blizzaks WS60 and WS70 and absolutely hated them.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Nokian winter tires if you can find them. Best winter tires i've ever had and the only brand I use for winter tires now for all of my vehicles. I've had two sets of Blizzaks WS60 and WS70 and absolutely hated them.
You don't say why you were unhappy, or why if you were unhappy the first time, you bought a second set. I'm sure you realize by looking at the millions of miles of consumer ratings on tirerack.com that most feel much more positively. Some do try to drive winter tires too early and spend a lot of time on dry roads, and then are disappointed...but that is not their purpose. Nokian are quite good but not shown to be any better if comparing the most snow-aggressive studless style. If you have the models for more overall/performance driving, that type will be different whether Nokian or Blizzak LM. Nokian are quite a bit more expensive usually for no clear advantage in snow.

·
Registered
2015 ML 350 Black/Black
327 Posts
You don't say why you were unhappy, or why if you were unhappy the first time, you bought a second set. I'm sure you realize by looking at the millions of miles of consumer ratings on tirerack.com that most feel much more positively. Some do try to drive winter tires too early and spend a lot of time on dry roads, and then are disappointed...but that is not their purpose. Nokian are quite good but not shown to be any better if comparing the most snow-aggressive studless style. If you have the models for more overall/performance driving, that type will be different whether Nokian or Blizzak LM. Nokian are quite a bit more expensive usually for no clear advantage in snow.
I would agree, also interesting that Nokian are very popular in Europe but mostly unknown in US. I would try if I could buy them in US, otherwise Blizak's on any of my cars are doing great job. I drove my Jeep on Blizzak's in Quebec 2 years ago while several feet's of snow, ice and -25C outside for several hours. It was the most impressive driving experience in my 25 years of driving. It is amazing what you could do on good tires!

·
Registered
2010 C300
25 Posts
I love reading this as a former resident of Chicago and now a resident of North Georgia. I don't need no stinking winter tires!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts