Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some newspaper under my 98 ML320 and see that I have 3 separate leaks. I'm guessing the spot in the lower right is transmission fluid, as it is slightly red in color. Any ideas what the other 2 leaks might be?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Tough to tell from the pics but possible candidates are coolant, tranny or A/c condensation. You probably won't ID coolant on that paper - may want to just let go on the garage floor if it's cement. Also, crawl under truck if possible - tranny leak is easily found that way. For coolant, open hood and look around water pump area - splashes are easy to ID.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 Elegance, BMW R1150RT, SAAB 9-3
282 Posts
agree with DM. fastest and easiest will just be to get under the vehicle and look straight up from where the spot is... you should see the drip. you will have to trace from there. it may be necessary to do some cleaning of the bottom of the car and repeat the inspection.
given the right conditions fluids can travel accross the car.

safety first of course (dont just under a car supported only by a jack)

there are lots of possible fluids...
tranny.
front diff.
rear diff (unlikely - and if so easy as its off by itself)
transfer case
power steering fluid
brake fluid
coolant
washer fluid
water from A/C
precipitation

it would be important to identify the source as you dont want to be going down the road and loose say your brakes.
other than the 4 gear boxes you can pretty well check levels in reservoirs too and see if any are going down - add a piece tape if you are not sure and want to track it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts