Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i am a first time detailer of my cars and i went to pep boys and autozone to check out what they have.

i have no idea what to get. please help

so what i saw was meguires NXT in a bottle or tin of paste for 15 bucks.

or meguires that is a 3 step system. 3 different bottles, 5 bucks each. one was a cleaner, polish , and wax.
is that equivalient to using the NXT??

next i saw meguires mirror glaze 6, 7 and 27. whats teh differences. 11 bucks each. how do they work differnt.

there were other brands there too, like mothers?
there was a mothers clay bar for 15bucks too, big one.
they had zymol for 13bucks
anyways, please help, thanks so much

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Harly-Wax.

100% Pure Carnauba wax, the most beautiful finish available. You will love it, I promise.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill check zaino, what kinda buffer should i get, everyone says porter cable something or other, is there a specific model i should get and what stores have them. thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Parsifal - 5/9/2005 8:06 PM

Harly-Wax.

100% Pure Carnauba wax, the most beautiful finish available. You will love it, I promise.
No wax is 100% carnauba. Most waxes only have about 18 to 22% carnauba.

NXT is a nice sealer, Zaino is also nice but alot of hassle really. If you are using store bought try Mothers products...or even Gliptone if they carry them in your area. Both companies make some nice products.

Anthony

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but with all those differnt meguires ones i noted, whats the differences, or the ones t o use?

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Try going to Meguiars website and taking there Rx test --- it's free and fun, and you'll be surprised that they aren't trying to sell you everything. With the results you can then take everyone else's advice as to who makes the best products (e.g., if Meguiar recommends wax you can buy it from anyone). But I found that for my needs (which were high end shine) --- they didn't automatically recommend a buffer or clay.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
I say Zymol. It is an excellent wax which when it dries doesn't dry hard making it extremely difficult to remove. Also like somebody else mentioned already, no wax is 100% carnuba wax, because the wax would be as hard as a tree.

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
Zaino works well, but you'll need to prep the paint.

I recently went with the cheapy Meguires 3 step system, but only used the first 2 steps, the cleaner and the polisher. Instead of using the 3rd carnuba step, I used NXT liquid. The shine is incredible! I also clayed it before the NXT. I bought a Porter Cable buffer and some pads to make the job easiers. The NXT I applied by hand as you're not really rubbing it as much as just spreading it around.

So far so good on longevity. I highly recommend this for an easy shine, as Meguires is available most anywhere.

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
http://members.aol.com/harlywax/home.html

apparently they claim Harly-Wax is 100% pure carnauba, I understand what you're getting at though. However, would it not be possible to treat the carnauba without adding any foreign substances to make it a little more 'workable'?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Parsifal - 5/10/2005 3:36 PM

http://members.aol.com/harlywax/home.html

apparently they claim Harly-Wax is 100% pure carnauba, I understand what you're getting at though. However, would it not be possible to treat the carnauba without adding any foreign substances to make it a little more 'workable'?
Most likely what they are referring to is that their wax uses only "100% carnauba wax" (no parrafin wax, no beeswax, etc.) Yet what it comes across as, to the uninformed, is that their wax is 100% carnauba wax, it's a sales tactic.

All waxes, liquid or paste, must be softened with solvents, which in turn make tham "workable":)

Anthony

·
Registered
04 C230 Kompressor
335 Posts
I use the Meguiars 3-Step thingy.
I also start with the Gold class wash & finish with a quik detailer. It really is a 5-Step process but it takes away the guess work.
Remember to buy the little yellow applicators.
Each car takes me about 4 hours, 8 beers, 3 phone calls & 2 bathroom trips. As it happens if weather permits I'll be doing the Kompressor this weekend.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
in terms of a buffer, is the porter cabel 7424 the way to go, or do the 35 dollar autozone 10 inch orbital buffers work well too?

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Forget the $35 peices of crap. They dont do the job and they do not last. Porter Cable 7424 is a nice model, but you can get just about the same performance for a bit less with the Porter Cable 7336.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
whats the difference in the 7424 and 7336,

·
Registered
E320 W211
64 Posts
I have been using the Meguire's Gold class system for a couple years. Lots of work and I don't even feel like Karate Kid after all those wax on wax off, just sore arm. Call me old fashioned but I just don't trust those orbital buffers.

Then this past week I tried the NXT for the first time. Just one coat and I was suprised how much shine it produces. It had got to be the easiest wax there is to apply. Like somebody said, just spread it over the car and then wipe it off, no rubbing needed.

I read somewhere the NXT is a synthetic polymer blend and Meguire did an excellent job formulating it. For $15 it doesn't hurt to try. And if you don't like it Meguire will refund you the money.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 Sedan
411 Posts
I'd been using the Maguires Gold Class stuff and switched to Zaino products. For my eye, the Maguires produces the same gloss as the Zaino. The difference is that I could never get the Maguires (Gold Class or NXT) to last. The Zaino after several months still feels as slick as the day it was applied.

I thought the Zaino was going to be a hassle to apply (from reading the directions). In practice, it's very easy to use and requires much less effort than the Maguires...

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Zaino or other polymer based polishes are the only way to go. (no affiliation)

I spent six-years with EI duPont in their Fabrics and Finishes Division, car care products (polishes and waxes) being a responsibility. I no longer have any affiliation with any business, I'm enjoying retirement.

Carnauba based polishes/waxes - Carnauba wax in 100% form is hard as a rock. When used in vehicle polishes, manufacturers use a suspension solution containing 10-30% carnauba wax. The primary limitation of carnauba based polish is its low resistance to heat. After application it begins to break down at around 100-degrees Fahrenheit, easily reached on a dark finish on an 75-degree sunny day. This is the reason your shine goes away so quickly during summer months. It also has minimal resistance to climatic conditions such rain, snow and blowing sand.

Polymer based polishes, used on aircraft for 40-years, contain no wax. Without getting technical, it forms a coating on your vehicle finish that resists heat up to 250-degrees and is far superior in resisting climatic conditions, about three times as effective as carnauba based polishes.

Shine is about the same for carnauba or polymer polishes. Polymer will often outshine Carnauba only because users pay more attention to surface preparation.

Surface preparation - Clay bar is for the absolute purist. I'm lazy and use a product called NuFinish, a polymer based polish with non-abrasive cleansers (you can smell the kerosene)available at Wal-Mart. It's an excellent polish its own right. I then apply Zaino over the NuFinish.

Use only a soap intended for car finishes. All dish soaps contain chemicals that strip off polishes more effectively than sandpaper.

If one enjoys repetitive labor with short-term results, by all means stay with 80-year old technology carnauba polishes. If after the most effective and longest lasting polish, use a polymer based polish. A chemical process, it goes on with no rubbing and wipes off with no rubbing.

Old habits die hard, but anyone who switches to a polymer based polish and applies it in the correct manner never goes back to the horse & buggy technology of carnauba based polishes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts