Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
W126 280SE's are still common on scrap yards here in South Africa.

(Unfortunately for me, none with an ABS diff...)

·
Registered
84 Posts
No tools needed, just take an old sparkplug with you next time. If it doesn't want to start, take off any plug lead from any sparkplug in the engine and put that lead on your extra sparkplug, ground it anywhere and let someone swing the starter, you will immediately see spark on the plug or no spark. Now you know, you have an electrical issue or if there is spark, then you have a fuel issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Update

It's been a loooong road to this point,

The car has been in and out of the Mech shop. This last time I left it there for 3 months,

That being said, The fuel pump was replaced and so was the fuel pump relay. The mech has tested the car for the last few weeks and where it would usually leave him on the side of the road, it is actually hassle free (Touch Wood).

So I will be collecting this weekend and I sure do hope for the best

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Final Update [SOLVED]

Here goes:

Its been a week since i collected it from the mech. Good news is both myself and the mech are confident to say we nipped the issue.

Things that was replaced:
Fuel Pump
Green Condenser Cable
Fuel Pump Relay
Distributor Rotor
Ignitor Module

In the end I do believe that it was either the fuel pump or the Fuel pump relay, we weren't willing to keep on doing the troubleshooting by way of elimination, it just took forever.

The car has run consistent over 500km to date, no splutters or cut outs at high and low speeds.

Thank you to all who gave feedback here and I made it a mission to update this thread to help anyone who experiences these issues in future as there were no threads which actually solved this issue on the interwebs. So apologies if you received any spam about updates

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
You know what, thinking more on this, this is a classic sign the fuel pump is worn out. Although it pumps just fine, while engaging a turn, the rollervane inside loses contact with terminals.

An example is a household fan that is going bad. If you lean it backwards, sometimes it will spin as it should but when you set back upright, it will start slowing down.

Also couldn’t hurt to pull the fuel pump relay and inspect for corrosion in socket and on blades.
And this here is what it boiled down 2. Fuel Pump and Fuel Pump relay!!! I've been through 3 FPR's since the start of this thread, I suppose because I couldn't find a new one each one had its own problems. As they say 3rd time lucky

Thanks @nutz4Benz

61 - 65 of 65 Posts