Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Does your induction coil is fine?
Seems fine, doesn't heat up or anything.

This is mind boggling. If i drive in town around speeds of 100km/h for the distance of 40 - 80km or more, there is no issue.

If i Get on the freeway, get up to speeds of around 120 km/h - 140km/h the engine temp does climb to around 90 degrees Celsius (Maybe a bit more) . and for a short distance around 40km, then it gives this warm start issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Still no progress here. I left the car to just stand in its place and don't even look in it's direction.

This weekend, Im dropping it off at an old school Merc mechanic and I hope to get it back soon for some care free driving. While it is there it will get a major service at the same time

Will post the findings here

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Took the car to the mech on Sunday, a short 14km drive at low speeds and the engine temp was hovering around the 80 Degree mark. Pulled into his yard, switched off and tried to start it up again and it refused to swing.

So I'm glad that happened so he could see first hand what it does.

While it's there for that to be sorted I've asked him to do a full major service of the engine and gearbox too. Including setting the tappets etc.

No I sit and wait with much anticipation and hope

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Collection Day

Will be collecting this today.

The Mech says the fuel pump relay was faulty. He drove it on the freeway for around 40km and says it started each time with no issue. I would hope this is the last of the headache and heartache here.

While it was there it had a major service too. So I'll report back by Monday after doing some serious mileage on it to see if we are now out of the red zone

·
Registered
84 Posts
Starting Issues

Hi, where did you buy the ignition control box from ?

I have the same motor in a G-Wagon and am experiencing similar problems. After short drive, switch off and wont start, no spark !
Here is my miracle: take a piece of wire from negative of coil to negative of battery and scrape it to make sparks while starter is turning (two man job) mine starts after couple of swings.
I think it excites something inside.
Dont know if my problem is ignition box, green wire or distributor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hi, where did you buy the ignition control box from ?

I have the same motor in a G-Wagon and am experiencing similar problems. After short drive, switch off and wont start, no spark !
Here is my miracle: take a piece of wire from negative of coil to negative of battery and scrape it to make sparks while starter is turning (two man job) mine starts after couple of swings.
I think it excites something inside.
Dont know if my problem is ignition box, green wire or distributor.
Hey Rudi,

I'm using the original one again. That aftermarket one is really a stuk kak if you ask me.

So believe it or not, my mech pulled out the fuel pump relay, repaired that and it seems the car is running as normal again. Perhaps give that a try.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Back at it again

Picked up the car from my mech.

He removed the Fuel Pump relay, did some cleaning and soldering and it now seems 100%

Took the car for a very long 60km drive , partially spirited at high speeds to make the motor get quite hot. Stopped at my 1st end point , and tried to start. It starts immediately. Drove home from there, did the same test.

Im praying its sorted, it really does look it is sorted out now.

Another thing is that after the Radiator flush, the temperature stays around 90 Degrees at most, where previously it had risen to around the 100 degree marker

·
9,038 Posts
Happy to hear that your car appears to be sorted out and you're enjoying it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I'm happy for you. It's always the little things.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
:crying

And we back to square one

It happened again! I have no idea now what to do. It's going back to the mechanic this evening.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry to hear, have you figured out if it is fuel or spark, mine turned out to be the coil, it showed no symptoms but replaced with the correct blue high voltage Bosch coil from Diesel-Electrick and I am surprised with the allround better behavior of the engine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Sorry to hear, have you figured out if it is fuel or spark, mine turned out to be the coil, it showed no symptoms but replaced with the correct blue high voltage Bosch coil from Diesel-Electrick and I am surprised with the allround better behavior of the engine.
Hey Rudi,

Not sure as yet, i had 0 tools or multimeter or anything. And being on the side of the N1 alone I couldn't even hear if the Fuel pump buzzed.

So fokkit, Im replacing the coil, fuel pump relay and fuel pump now. Im gatvol so just gonna do this and see.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
This is why when I got my 280CE with a seized motor, I put in a turbo diesel instead of rebuilding the M110. With the car sitting 25 years not running, I didn't want the headaches and cost of the M110. The turbo diesel with a 5 speed is a joy to drive and starts every time. If you were in the US I would have every part you are looking for from the two 280CE's I have the parts off of.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts