Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, ill give you some background to help give the complete picture I am 17 and a senior in high school I had a 2005 Jaguar S-type 4.2 V8 for a while but after having a coolant leak and a faulty throttle body we ended up selling it. Now I am driving our 2004 Lexus RX330 which just is not fun compared to my old Jaguar. I need to get rid of "the mom car" haha.

I am really looking into the 2008 or 2009 Mercedes Benz e350 or e550 and have found some with 20,000 miles to 66,000 miles that I would consider. How reliable is the car? I dont want to get back into what we experienced with my Jaguar. I would keep the car 3 years most likely and am going to college and work in Luxury real estate so I need a somewhat nice car to have clients in. Would this fit that well?

Also I am 17 so with that in mind I love my music and I am a huge car guy. I loved my Jaguars V8 and thats why I really prefer to get the e550. How is the stereo in the car? Does the V6 e350 have decent power? I have noticed the e350 steering wheels really look plastic like in some of the cars ive looked at... How are the materials of the car?

I am very picky when it comes to cars and the e350/e550 seem to be perfect in my price range and come with the options I want. What is your ownership experience? In your opinion does the e350/e550 seem to suit my needs? What are your biggest pet peeves with the car?

Sorry for the million questions! Just want to make an educated purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you like working on cars?
Is it that unreliable? Surely it is better than the Jaguar XF and Range Rover's ive looked at...? To answer your question though no I really am not mechanical with cars more of a car guy in the specs sense...

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
Bottom line is you have to pay to play with any modern Euro performance sedan.
Many repairs require service computer adaptations after repair.
Find one that is a CPO car at a dealer and extend the CPO. That is the least painful way
to enjoy the car.
And no they are not that unreliable, just so full of technology that things can fail. You
are on the right track with looking at an 09 model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will keep that in mind Thanks. We are used to the technology in the cars and servicing but never with mercedes.Audi, Cadillac and Lexus have been the best our BMW 750 has been a great car but their service department sucks! Jaguar was not great either. How would you say the Mercedes dealers are?

·
Registered
'07 E-550 4-Matic
69 Posts
The engine in the 550 is awesome. It's why I bought the car, among other things of course.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
22,145 Posts
Will keep that in mind Thanks. We are used to the technology in the cars and servicing but never with mercedes.Audi, Cadillac and Lexus have been the best our BMW 750 has been a great car but their service department sucks! Jaguar was not great either. How would you say the Mercedes dealers are?
Well if you as a family survived the modern electronics in the makes you listed like you Jag or LR, then the W211 will be fine.
One thing to keep in mind about the Cadilla and Lexus experience. Lexus has
one of of not the best approach to customer satisfaction in the business.
Half of the early V-6 Lexus owners do not even know their engines were replaced
due to sludging.
Anyway, Cadillac addressed this issue years ago with customer satisfaction and
took a page out of the Japanese handbook. Kudos to Cadillac for doing that.
You mention the BMW service dept. sucks. It is the people that suck along
with their attitudes. At night with nobody there and the lights out it is hard
for a bunch of tools and lifts to suck.
You may have to get all the out to Long Island or Jersey to find a friendly MB
dealer that will value you as a customer.
I do not how close to the city you live, there may be a dealer near you that
is doing a good job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if you as a family survived the modern electronics in the makes you listed like you Jag or LR, then the W211 will be fine.
One thing to keep in mind about the Cadilla and Lexus experience. Lexus has
one of of not the best approach to customer satisfaction in the business.
Half of the early V-6 Lexus owners do not even know their engines were replaced
due to sludging.
Anyway, Cadillac addressed this issue years ago with customer satisfaction and
took a page out of the Japanese handbook. Kudos to Cadillac for doing that.
You mention the BMW service dept. sucks. It is the people that suck along
with their attitudes. At night with nobody there and the lights out it is hard
for a bunch of tools and lifts to suck.
You may have to get all the out to Long Island or Jersey to find a friendly MB
dealer that will value you as a customer.
I do not how close to the city you live, there may be a dealer near you that
is doing a good job.
Thanks for your input, BMW employees at the dealership we go to have been very difficult to work with. When buying the 750 they were more than happy to do anything and say anything to get us to buy the car. Yet, as soon as we ask them to act on what they promised we were basically called liars. They ultimately ended up doing what they promised but it was not easy to get to that point. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada so I have Fletcher Jones Mercedes about 15 min away. I think I found a winner but it's in California it's a black 2009 E550 with the AMG sport pack $29,000 with 22,000 miles. Just want to see if any come up in Vegas as I'm not in a rush to make the purchase. I've definitely noticed the e550 is a lot harder to find compared to the e350

·
Registered
2006 C55 AMG
340 Posts
Thanks for your input, BMW employees at the dealership we go to have been very difficult to work with. When buying the 750 they were more than happy to do anything and say anything to get us to buy the car. Yet, as soon as we ask them to act on what they promised we were basically called liars. They ultimately ended up doing what they promised but it was not easy to get to that point. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada so I have Fletcher Jones Mercedes about 15 min away. I think I found a winner but it's in California it's a black 2009 E550 with the AMG sport pack $29,000 with 22,000 miles. Just want to see if any come up in Vegas as I'm not in a rush to make the purchase. I've definitely noticed the e550 is a lot harder to find compared to the e350
Here is a couple of tips for you before taking your car to the dealership. Speaking from experience , having owned different models of Mercedes for the last decade whenever you run into a problem dont just pick up the phone and call benz do your research first as alot of the problems with these cars can be resolved at home if they are electrical sometimes it is a small re programming procedure that mercedes would try to charge you few hundreds dollars for.

I saw you mentioned earlier you not mechanically inclined and I was the same way you are until i came to this forum. People here are great and you can always find answers that the dealer ship won't give you. The drive train on those cars is pretty solid, minor leak may occur from the valve cover casket but no big deal. Airmatic is the one thing that you have to be careful with but you live in Vegas the roads are nice and there may not be too many pot holes like we have here up north. Other than that comparing it to a BMW 5 Series or a Jag this car is more reliable and you get way more options esecially with the e550 also more power. The best year to look into is 2008 they had less problems than the 07 and 06.

good luck with your search :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
22,145 Posts
I can say from experience in Cali, Hawaii and Vegas that Fletcher Jones is not well liked.

Every member that has dealt with the locations I listed says they are arrogant and treat customers poorly in service and over charge for parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts