Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
86k miles, AT, says the a/c works, what are the weak points of this vehicle- and tips of how I can find any issues. Thanks, George in Tallahassee

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
246 Posts
I've found the mechanical components pretty bullet proof. Make sure all the controls and the instrumentation systems work- these can be difficult & expensive to fix. And especially make sure the roof works, in Australia these cars are written off after even minor damage because of the difficulty of realigning the roof tracking system after an accident.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've found the mechanical components pretty bullet proof. Make sure all the controls and the instrumentation systems work- these can be difficult & expensive to fix. And especially make sure the roof works, in Australia these cars are written off after even minor damage because of the difficulty of realigning the roof tracking system after an accident.
Thanks, dont think this bent fender w/cause any issues w/the top stuff, correct? 86k miles, asking $1900

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
246 Posts
I'd be very suspicious- don't forget there's no strength in the roof structure. In Australia that would probably be a write off due to the low rices of R170's here.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,194 Posts
I'd be very suspicious- don't forget there's no strength in the roof structure. In Australia that would probably be a write off due to the low rices of R170's here.
The prices are pretty low in the states too.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
so how to test? Just see if the top works both ways smoothly???
Yes! After you lower and raise the roof a couple of times, look in the trunk to check for any leakage from the main hydraulic cylinders. Remove the plastic cover (lower right side) and peak at the hydraulic fluid level on the pump. Look closely at the headliner for any wrinkles.
I just had all 5 cylinders rebuilt on my 2001 SLK230.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Is it a clean title from the owner, or a salvage title from an insurance company?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts