Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not the hazards. The front and read lights blink continuously. 1987 560SL in pristine condition, bone stock.

I noticed this morning, and can hear, the lights blinking. Checked hazard, still blinking even after the car is shut off.

Now...I discovered how that the light switch has three settings, one full in, then one click out, then two clicks out. I had left it in the one click out setting accidentally. I was sitting in the car with not running, key out, and pushed the light switch in all the way and it stopped. Can someone explain the purpose of these settings and what they do? Thanks.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
That's how you turn on the fog lights. When the headlights are turned on...

Fully in is normal position; one click out is front fog lights only; two clicks out is front fog lights and rear (extra-bright red outer) fog marker light (European cars mainly; this function is not operational for US models without the rear fog marker light).

You apparently have a short in the light switch or your light wiring if the fog light switch function triggers your turn/four-way signals.

Good road,

·
Registered
1987 560SL
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blinking is intermittent

The blinking is two types, a fast and a slow. It inevitably stops after just a few minutes, so the battery is okay. I don't think or see that this car has an aftermarket alarm system. I can't seem to do anything to turn it off, but it stops a few minutes after I get out of the car.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,355 Posts
No but it does have a factory alarm system.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay

Is there a way to disable the factory alarm? I don't see any type of controls. Sorry being so urgent about this, I've had the car for two days and don't want to do anything dumb. Thanks.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

Marquisestelle, in the 'Info' section of the EGv107 is a link to the MB-USA Literature page. You can get an owner's manual there.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got manual

I've got the manual but it doesn't say how to turn off the alarm, or to disable it. Does anybody know which fuse it is? I'd prefer just to disable it, getting annoying. Thanks.

Thanks for posting the manual pages. I went and got it from the PO this morning, much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,224 Posts
The alarm module is right behind the glove box. On the earlier 560SL's you had to remove the whole glove box liner, not difficult. On the newer ones they thought they would make it easier for for both pissed off owners a criminal thieves to disable the alarm so there is a little panel in the back of the glove box that exposes the two connectors on the alarm module.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Strange

Well....it stops after 150 seconds, like the manual says. But the whole thing mysteriously stopped after the outdoor temperature broke 50 or so. Might be a weather related issue. I just went and drove the car!! I love this car. Will check behind the glove box to disconnect the thing.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,224 Posts
Well....it stops after 150 seconds, like the manual says. But the whole thing mysteriously stopped after the outdoor temperature broke 50 or so. Might be a weather related issue. I just went and drove the car!! I love this car. Will check behind the glove box to disconnect the thing.
Yes and it will restart again in about 5 minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts