Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes E320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!! PROBLEMS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like my car is a never ending problem. OK here's my problem. I have a 97 e320 switchblade type key. I drive in the morning and stop infront of my house to grab something. I go into my car to turn key in ignition and no luck. I thought OK I must have locked the steering wheel. NOPE!! turned all the way to left and right with no luck. I cannot start my car. I can't even get into position 1. OK I get pissed, cause I missed an appt. SO I start to tear my ignition apart. I get this ignition cylinder and tryto turn it with my key. and it doesn't work so does that mean I need to replace this cylinder??? see attached pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,920 Posts
Mine 97 E300d lock is having the same problem for over a year. I did spray good amount of WD40 in it with the small tubing attached and than inserted the key several times wiping it at each pull. The dirt kept on coming and coming, but that solved the problem for a year. Than it suddenly reappear a week ago.
Suddenly might not be the right word. My wife drove the car when I had too many beers.
This time WD40 takes longer to clean, but after few jiggles I always get it going.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes E320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds the same to me too

Sounds like you should get that fixed ASAP you don't want to be stuck somewhere. I had that problem too where it'll be hard to start. I got a little more pissed about this lock and took it apart some more look at pics. And I found a source online that has an replacement for around $50.00.

Select Brand

look at pics I removed the cylinder by twisting the black cylinder cap half way to press in the notch to release the lock. I'm guessing this lock is the problem area. I'll let you guys know if the new lock will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,920 Posts
WOW that's a great find for new lock. After spending over $300 for couple new keys plus programming for ML I was hesitating even to touch it.
How long it took you to pull the lock out?
What about door and trunk locks?

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes E320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
removing the lock was not too hard just needed some elbow greese. For the trunk and doors I'm planning to use my original key. I just need to start my car.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes E320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how do you reset the steering wheel lock?

·
Registered
06 CLS500, Boeing-737, 04 Tahoe LT, 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan
257 Posts
Sorry to tell you this, if you havent already been told, but your going to have to get the steering lock mechanism cut out and replaced. A fairly big job and cost me a total of about $900.00 bucks parts, labor and towing. (Parts bought at dealer discount thru a car friends help and a local small business Benz guy did the cutting and labor.)

I had this very thing happen to me back a few months ago. I went to the dealership, bought the tumbler and switch, thinking I was going to do this at home. Yea right. But once I got to the dealership the parts guy warned me that if the steering lock had frozen-up I was screwed. Well, he was right.

In fact if you do a search here "ignition switch" you might see my frustrating posts about this issue..........

Good luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Locked Out !!!

Sorry, can't help you with the Steering Lock, but here's something for others to consider.

The first sign of a key problem is a warning that it's time to change something... either the key or the lock!

Sometimes the key is just worn from usage... in that case, use the spare key or switch your's with the wife's key temporarily. If there is no more problems, then have a spare key cut ASAP... save the worn key as a souvenier.

But if you still have a problem with the spare key (meaning almost brand new) then the internal lock is going bad. Most likely it is the pins are worn or has developed a burr from lack of lubrication. OR a heavy keyring ladden with more than 5 keys will wear the pins by causing a tilt.

Because these cars last so long (>11 years) Mercedes developed the Smartkey and the lastest version is the Keyless GO Smartkey that eliminated all these problems you are experiencing, but has a host of different problems.

Go get a new lock and replace it before you really get stuck somewhere out in the boonies!!

Good Luck ... :)

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes E320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got my car running and YES I had to cut the steering wheel lock at the timer. But after looking closely at it. I realized I didn't have to do that and could have saved tons of time and headaches. I'll try to post up pics and maybe explain a little better.

citrus - I would have went to dealer but I'm tight on money and had to pinch every little penny. and also I usually am a DIY er so I like to tinker anyways. But if the dealer had to cut the lock then they might need to look at this post later when I take some pics of the cut lock.

unit - Yes my tumbler was worn so the pins were all screwed up. What I did was take my old tumbler and new one to a locksmith and they redid the new pins and hardware into my tumbler assembly.

I don't have a steering wheel lock right now but at least I can start and drive the car. I might just leave the lock out since it cost like $100 just for the part.

·
Registered
35,920 Posts
Well I got my car running and YES I had to cut the steering wheel lock at the timer. But after looking closely at it. I realized I didn't have to do that and could have saved tons of time and headaches. I'll try to post up pics and maybe explain a little better.

Not trying to rush anything, but our lock becomes pretty annoying and I am trying to figure out how hard it is to replace it?

·
Registered
35,920 Posts
It is really frustrating when somebody say he is having solution, but is not posting it.
I've got new lock cylinder and started to take the old apart. Can't do what OP said " I removed the cylinder by twisting the black cylinder cap half way to press in the notch to release the lock" The thing has some play but will not turn on me and the picture is out of focus.
Other sites have lot of topic about older locks, that took paper clip to remove. With newer locks everybody refers to a video that no longer exist on the net.
Anybody knows how to remove the black cylinder? Supposable it is made with extremely hard material that takes diamond blade if I would like to cut it.

·
Registered
35,920 Posts
OK. I hate to break open door, but if there is no other way, man has to do what man has to do.
So for future reference. Those locks with blade keys were used in W210 in years 95-97. From what I check R129 (S class) had them identical. Now, when everything is clean replacing the lock tumbler takes me 90 seconds. You can only wonder why stealers take hundreds of dollars for the job.
Coming to the point. After pooping electronic ring with flat screwdriver and unscrewing the big ring you have good access to the ignition. Look at last 2 picture in post #4. The only thing that holds the black security ring (last picture) on the housing is the springing "finger" visible on the center of the tumbler housing (second picture from the last), By twisting the black ring more than 90 degree the finger is pushed in and the ring will come out with some pull. MB has special tool for it, but I used pliers with parallel jaws and it worked, although with original dirt and shavings from the lock it took some persvasion.
Once the ring is out, turn the key between position 1 and 2 and by pulling the key the whole thing comes out. Put the new one in, push the black ring back and reattach the dashboard rings with electronics. So as long as you can turn the key it is child's play.
Now comes the tricky part. Since I had to pound the ring to come off, I locked steering wheel blockade. The tricky mechanism is done the way, that once you push, or pull the ignition shaft it locks and has to be cut off (unless leetec really has a system that I couldn't figure out). I pushed it, so I was able to reinsert new tumbler and start the engine, but with the steering wheel locked couldn't drive too far. Locked mechanism also locks the switch pins, so in order to remove the switch body you need to PULL the pins (pretty hard) , or break plastic tabs (easy, but than require new plastic).
How about putting that under sticky?

·
Registered
2006 E350
67 Posts
My 2001 Nissan had a trunk lock that the key would not turn a bit, it was solid. A locksmith tried WD 40 with no luck. He told me I needed a new cylinder. A mechanic then used spray brake cleaner and after a few minutes it broke free. He said after repeated use of WD 40 it does become gummy. He then gave it a small shot of WD 40, go figure

·
Registered
1988 300E
309 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove the black metal part as seen at the bottom of pic 1? My key will not go to position 1. I've spent a couple of hours trying to remove the black ring so I can attempt to replace the tumbler.

·
Registered
35,920 Posts
The black ring comes off after you turn it 90 degrees CCW.
Picture 5 shows what is holding it. But I am afraid the key needs to in position 2 for the latch to release the lock.

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes ML500 2000 Mercedes E320 1999 Mercedes E430 1996 Mercedes SL320
185 Posts
I have a word of advice from my experience with locks of various types. Do not use WD-40. While it may help at first it will leave a residue that will cause you future headaches. Go buy lock graphite at your local hardware store. It is amazing what a little graphite will do. It will fix the sticky tumbler pins and give you a smooth functioning lock. If you are in a pinch a pencil will do the trick. Just rub the pencil tip on the key blade and then move in back and forth in the ignition lock until it moves without resistance.

·
Registered
1988 300E
309 Posts
I got the black metal ring off by punching the top--the key hole--with a 1/2" punch, which broke the plastic! As far as lube, a locksmith told me that tri-flow, which is used for bike chains, is the best--better than graphite. The liquid propellant dries quickly leaving micro bits of teflon that don't attract dirt and pocket lint!

Next--How do a get the tumbler out of the metal housing without destroying the housing? I've removed the long white plastic with the small spring...

·
Registered
35,920 Posts
I never drilled out car lock ;)
but I did it on household locks. If you really care about the housing -start with small bit. You can always redo it with bigger one. The brass locking tabs will twist in the prosess and hopefully come out easy.
See if you can pop up the stainless steel cap first.
The bit in the size of the key blade is good size to start.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts