Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting to destination, turn off ignition, key won't come out! Tried to removed forcefuly key fob came apart. Was just going to drive to my mechanic but car would start for app. 10 seconds and kill with message starting error. After fooling with it for about 20 min. I reattached fob to key and it started up! Decided to just go home and see what happens, key STILL would not come out! Any help greatly appreichiated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Is your car in park? Straighten the steering wheel first then take the key out. Also try jerking the wheel to the right as you try to take the wheel out. Are you pressing the brakes while taking the key out-well don't.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your car in park? Straighten the steering wheel first then take the key out. Also try jerking the wheel to the right as you try to take the wheel out. Are you pressing the brakes while taking the key out-well don't.
Its in park, foot off brake, level ground. Tried wiggling steering wheel, no luck 4wd430, I am baffled! Thanks for the help anyway

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This happened to me 2 years ago, don't remember solution. Seems someone told me about sticking a pointy object in an area of gear shift?? does this ring a bell with anyone?

·
Registered
612 Posts
When mine stuck I wiggled the steering wheel while pushing slightly in on the key and wiggling that. The it would go to the 0 spot and come out. I hit it with some Teflon spray on the key and that helped. Not sure if would be safe to spray in the tumbler. I believe my problem is just wear on the key blade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When mine stuck I wiggled the steering wheel while pushing slightly in on the key and wiggling that. The it would go to the 0 spot and come out. I hit it with some Teflon spray on the key and that helped. Not sure if would be safe to spray in the tumbler. I believe my problem is just wear on the key blade.
Thanks Wragie! I will try this out first thing tomorrow morning! I am burned out fooling with this all afternoon. Major league headache right now

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Sometimes the cable between the gearshift and the ignition key breaks - it normally prevents you from removing the key unless it's in Park. If it's a bit sticky you can try shifting back into Neutral then firmly shifting into P. (You may need to stick a small stick/pen into the flap behind the gear shift to release it from P. You must put your foot on the brake while doing this.)

If that doesn't free it, you have a problem.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had a key get stuck in just about every car I have ever owned, in rage I normally throttle the cabin and hulk it from N to P very hard, spin the wheel, whatever... Normally the key knows better to mess with me, and falls on the floor :)

You may have a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for the tips. No luck key is still stuck. My trusted mechanic checked shift interlock cable it was fine, he said I have to go to dealer it's got to be a bad cylinder or worst. This is going to be bad!:crybaby2:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Get back to us when your return and let us know the problem and the fix

Thanks to everyone for the tips. No luck key is still stuck. My trusted mechanic checked shift interlock cable it was fine, he said I have to go to dealer it's got to be a bad cylinder or worst. This is going to be bad!:crybaby2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally!

Today I ran an errand and when I got back I tried removing key with same results. I was tried shaking wheel like a lot of friends on here have recommended, same results, no luck. I then really leaned to the left on steering wheel and voila! the key turned further left and came out!! I just had to check again and the key slid and slid out no trouble!! Now I just need to decide A: buy a new key, its over 10 years old or B: replace ignition switch or C: keep fingers crossed and hope this doesn't happen again for a long time! I will go buy some Teflon or silicone spray tomorrow. Any advice on what choice to make? Thanks again for all the advice you guy's gave!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Your key might just be worn like mine. The teflon (just grabbed at napa) helped quite a bit but didn't totally cure it. I wish I knew if it was safe to hit the ignition lock with it as I would like to give that a good squirt. I just sprayed the key and inserted it and turned a few times. So I wouldn't have got lube into most of it but what little I did had enough effect to do something.

Somewhere on this forum I've run across the part number for ordering just the blade (the actual metal key bit) and it is pretty cheap. Well dirt cheapish compared to getting a new fob etc. You can see the little pin to push out when you flick open the key. That is on my to do list but might get bumped up in priority if it sticks again.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
The problem was the interlock cable mechanism at the lock cylinder end. You can feel the key not turning all the way left when you don't put it in Park.

If it's recurrent, you might need to clean/lubricate the mechanism from the outside.

P.S. Turning the steering wheel into lock under tension will cause a similar problem, which can be solved by turning the wheel a bit further in the same direction. But that should have fixed itself when you went for a drive.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Glad you got it resolved......I've had similar circumstances and pressure on the wheel to the left or right always seems to free the key. In the future try to leave the wheels centered and the steering wheel straight with no binding (feeling kinda' loose).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts