Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

HELP!! J REG MERC 190 IGNITION LOCKED!!

1200 7
KEY IS OK<br> <br> HAD ANOTHER 1 CUT TOO<br> <br> GOES INTO IGNITION BUT WONT TURN<br> <br> TRIED ALL SORTS<br> <br> WHATS SOLOUTION AND COST??<br> <br> THANX
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have you tried taking it out and seeing if anything visible is wrong? My haynes manual has removal instructions for the ignition switch.<br> <br> I don't mean to sound stupid have you tried moving the wheel? I thought my ignition switch was messed up, but it turns out that my steering wheel was locked just right so that the key wouldn't move. Try turning the wheel and turning the key.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep tried it all<br> <br> tried all wd 40, oil etc..<br> <br> first the steering lock was not on, and still same, <br> <br> now lock is on too<br> <br> how can i take the barrel out??<br> <br> do i have to brake it?<br>

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No in my haynes manual (since it's british the wording is odd) it says 'remove the facia from around the ignition switch' which means just take the molding off around it which you just need to pry off with a screw driver. Next put the key into position 'I' which I think is the accessory position, but not positive (I guess they want you to disconnect the battery so the thing won't turn on when you're doing this) Then there's a special U-shaped tool that fits into the holes on the side of the whole assembly. Then from what I read the whole thing should just comeout. There's an illustration of the tool that I can scan for you.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turn wheel left, turn key right

This happened to me before. THey key is just worn out and the tumbler is worn to the old key so when you get the new key wire brush it with a hand wire brush, then it should work.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Turn wheel left, turn key right

I am have the exact problem he does too... moving the wheel left and the key right does nothing. I read in the owner's manual that if you take the key out while the engine is running (which I didn't do) the ignition and the wheel will lock therefore making the car inoperable. HOW DO I GET IT OUT OF THIS?!?!??!?! I am going to call merc tech help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.