Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
It's a really nice looking car so I called to check a few things. So I bought it.

Ha, just kidding. It does look nice, and you should get good advice from this site.

Have you talked to the seller? If he has the original paper work from AMG and maintenance records, get a PPI and give it some very serious thought. 3000 is pretty inexpensive if the above checks out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
unless there is paperwork i would seriously question the amg upgrades. From what ive read amg did not come factory till 93. wheels appear to be amgs as well as a body kit. Not sure if it had a spoiler on the amg kit. Was there any upgrades done to the engine?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a standard engine. i believe amg put on the ronal wheels and the bodykit and thats it.. maybe they started doing mechanical mods in 93 and did cosmetic ones before? i have no idea.. im just thinking this could be a really rare car but without paperwork what can i do?

·
Registered
132 Posts
if no engine upgrades and just the body kit and wheels, i would try to lower the price. still a decent price for a great looking car. Most amg upgrades worthwhile is the engine stuff.

·
W123 Moderator
797 Posts
I can come look at this if you like

Hi,

I live in San Diego and have a real AMG.

I could come take a look and see how real this one is.

I don't think its worth 3000 though

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
That's a w126 with a body kit. AMG would not have put the Ronal R9s on the car, so those are after-the-fact. The suspension sits too high to be non-stock. Lastly, I have yet to see a modified 380 engine; they had lots of stuff to do to the 500/560, but in 380 form, not so much.

My vote (and I've owned four real AMGs) is definitely "not AMG". Perhaps more evidence could prove otherwise.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,583 Posts
unless there is paperwork i would seriously question the amg upgrades. From what ive read amg did not come factory till 93. wheels appear to be amgs as well as a body kit. Not sure if it had a spoiler on the amg kit. Was there any upgrades done to the engine?
MB and AMG were totally separate entities in 1981.

The wheels on this car appear to be Ronal. Not correct for 1981. ATS was the manufacture for AMG then.

Body kit looks like AMG and the badge on the rear is correct for 1981 MY.

To my knowledge no records exists from AMG prior to MB taking over and.........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts