Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I've sent you an email with the details about a similar situation I've been dealing last month. Check your "spam" folder in case it gets moved there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks russianwol- I will check shortly.

Everyone- I should have made it more clear in my original post. They have given me a pretty low number, but after a lot of negotiating they have agreed to reevaluate the offer if I can show them similar models with the sport suspension/ modifications along with selling prices etc. If i can show them that my particular mod usually sells for more than a regular model from 1994, they will go up accordingly. Any similar examples currently for sale/ sold recently will help.
I was able to find one selling recently, but cannot find any more information on it. Anyone see this example before?

http://www.americanlisted.com/oregon_37/cars_2/1994_mercedes_e36_amg_clone_7300_eugene_14563400.html

·
Registered
235 Posts
If repairing...

Hey everyone, I was recently rear ended in my 94 E320 amg/500e clone. The insurance company claims its totaled, and wants to pay me the "cash value" of the car prior to the accident (a stock model- condition adjustments etc) . The vehicle is no where near stock and was a real looker. Can anyone help me find models that have been modified like this and what they sold for recently? Message me here or Email me at [email protected] if you have any information or help. I want to get this car repaired or build another exactly like it, as it is exactly the look/ feel that I want, but the number they are currently offering will not let me do either. ( I doubt I could even obtain all the parts at the amount they are offering) Any help is GREATLY appreciated to keep this car on the road.

I will add the vehicle to my garage with pics.
Here are the specs on the car:

1994 Mercedes Benz E320/500E AMG Clone 3.2L I6
158882 Miles “Good” Condition according to CCC evaluation.
(Driver seat has a tear, front hood has two small dents that need to be fixed)
Vehicle runs perfectly with no mechanical issues present. In addition to being fully loaded the vehicle has a handful of desirable upgrades including the following:

Extreme Dimensions AMG Body Kit: Front, Rear bumpers, Side Skirts
Upgraded lowered sport suspension including: (Not sure if this is stock sportline or upgrade?)
Lowered Eibach sport springs
Billstein Sport shocks
17” Chrome Mercedes Ceginus Evo II Rims
(Also have 17" AMG Aero IIs for summer)
Upgraded smoked taillights, corner lights
Upgraded front 500E “big” brakes:
Larger MM Rotors, Larger Calipers
Rear window mounted antenna
Recent metallic paint with matching metallic painted bumpers and optional side moldings
Chrome door handle faces, body panel trims, bumper trims, rear exhaust tips

-Joe
IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING REPAIRING YOUR VEHICLE BELOW IS SOME GOOD ADVICE FROM A SAVVY MEMBER:

A bit of an update:

After Harranging the damn idiots insurance company DAILY, I finally got them to cave in, and pay me exactly what I wanted.

It really boils my hide to see how those companies try to screw you royally.

Anyway, I thought I would also pass on a helpful hint to those in my situation (which it sounds as if one of our Bretheren has suffered my similar fate):

If they ARE going to total your vehicle, there *IS* an alternative to a Salvage Title. DEMAND that they offer you a "Contract Price" for the vehicle.

What this allows you to do is have them "Total" the car, while at the same time RETAINING the Title of the car. They transparently take the car, and sell it back to you at a VERY low price, and keep the Title Intact. DON'T let them force a Salvage title on you. At least here in Texas, it is a NIGHTMARE to try to change the Salvage back to a Regular title.

The good news is, I'm having her repaired, and hopefully I'll get her original glory.

Luckily, I have a shop in town who recently received the coveted "MB Approved Collision Center". It is the only one is all south Texas.

Thanks for everyone's well-wishes.
Last edited by G-AMG; 11-17-2011 at 09:21 PM.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
What this allows you to do is have them "Total" the car, while at the same time RETAINING the Title of the car. They transparently take the car, and sell it back to you at a VERY low price, and keep the Title Intact. DON'T let them force a Salvage title on you. At least here in Texas, it is a NIGHTMARE to try to change the Salvage back to a Regular title.
/QUOTE]

This process is bordering on Insurance Fraud. No insurance company would write-off your car and at the same time give you a clear title. Also, you cannot legitimately change a salvage title back to a regular title.

Your insurance company is trying to work with you by asking you to provide comparable so that they could have a basis to adjust the value of your car. The sad part is after market add on does not add value to the book value of the car which insurance company adjusters base their write off estimated value.

The best thing you can do is to provide them with the best comparable available and take the money. Buy your car from them (you have the right of first refusal) for their written off value of usually $100 to $500. Then transfer all the good parts of the salvaged car to a good replacement car you can buy with the settlement money.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
no need to find comparable cars. simply provide them with the receipts of all the mods done and they can either pay you for them or return them to you for use in another car. i got full retail price for my 2002 slk32 then bought the car back for 2900$ and took all my mods off sold the car for 3500$ and bought another 32 and reinstalled all my mods back were they belonged. in the end i lost my wheels and 1 shock

·
Registered
235 Posts
/QUOTE]

This process is bordering on Insurance Fraud. No insurance company would write-off your car and at the same time give you a clear title. Also, you cannot legitimately change a salvage title back to a regular title.

Your insurance company is trying to work with you by asking you to provide comparable so that they could have a basis to adjust the value of your car. The sad part is after market add on does not add value to the book value of the car which insurance company adjusters base their write off estimated value.

The best thing you can do is to provide them with the best comparable available and take the money. Buy your car from them (you have the right of first refusal) for their written off value of usually $100 to $500. Then transfer all the good parts of the salvaged car to a good replacement car you can buy with the settlement money.

Good Luck!
I was merely copying a previous post that I thought ingenious. As far as the insurance, it would definitely depend on the agent and probably what state you are located. Texas does have some of it's own rules, thank goodness. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts