Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Take the cash and be happy then let them know you want to buy the car back.

There is really no value to these cars any more, I bought a low mileage (75K) E420 in 2007 for $ 2,000.00 with full documented Mercedes Dealer Service History (included big ticket items such as wiring harness and timing chain guides and oil tube upgrades completed)

Now I can not give it away if I wanted to.

These cars have a cult following this is why people keep them running.

What are they offering you for ACV?

Best bet is to buy back and part out for sale...send pix of wheels to bullislandflats @ hotmail and I will make an offer.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts

There is really no value to these cars any more, I bought a low mileage (75K) E420 in 2007 for $ 2,000.00 with full documented Mercedes Dealer Service History (included big ticket items such as wiring harness and timing chain guides and oil tube upgrades completed)

What are they offering you for ACV?

Best bet is to buy back and part out for sale...send pix of wheels to bullislandflats @ hotmail and I will make an offer.
Agreed...buy it back, part it out and start over. Insurance companies aren't bound to pay back the modifications made to an owner's car. It's always the owner's folly and a chance you take by modifying a car from stock form. You can get 'stated value' insurance which is expensive or replacement value insurance, also expensive. But there are limits with those as well and often a dog fight ensues.

In spite of clever advertising, insurance companies are in business to make money, not to keep car owners happy. If it's one of the big box stores like Geico, you're screwed. If you have a local agent, you might be able to wrangle something better than salvage value.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Sounds reasonable. Also let them know that you would be happy if they found one just like yours and parked it in your driveway. They need to make you whole.

You or Adjuster could find similar model with miles and then see what it would cost for their shop to place body kit, brakes and paint.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Sorry guys, I should have made it more clear in my original post. They have given me a pretty low number, but after a lot of negotiating they have agreed to reevaluate the offer if I can show them similar models with the sport suspension/ modifications along with selling prices etc. If i can show them that my particular mod sells for more than a regular model from 1994, they will go up accordingly. Any similar examples currently for sale/ sold recently will help.
Good agent, ride that dog for as long as you can with some documentation. Try using printed ebay sales as a barometer of what your car was worth before the accident. The more material you have, the better it looks of course.

Kevin

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry guys, I should have made it more clear in my original post. They have given me a pretty low number, but after a lot of negotiating they have agreed to reevaluate the offer if I can show them similar models with the sport suspension/ modifications along with selling prices etc. If i can show them that my particular mod usually sells for more than a regular model from 1994, they will go up accordingly. My problem is, of course, that I'm having problems finding similar examples. Any similar examples currently for sale/ sold recently will help.
I was able to find one selling recently, but cannot find any more information on it. Anyone see this before?

1994 Mercedes E36 AMG Clone - $7300 (Eugene) for Sale in Eugene, Oregon Classifieds - AmericanListed.com

·
Registered
418 Posts
There was one on ebay that sold not too long ago. The previous owner posted on 500espot. I don't think the auction went too much over 5k

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, but unfortunately it is not very valuable to others.
I have done very similar mods to my 300 CE and although it is valuable to me, it is just an old car for the buyers. We are the only ones that see the value in these cars.
Hope they give you good money for it and as stated above, buy it back and part it out.
Not sure the effort will be worth it though. If you have receipts of the work done and the parts installed, you might be able to have them adjust the offer.
Good luck with whatever decision you make.

·
Banned
7,361 Posts

You're mistaken buddy,

I'm just north of you in Ft Lauderdale and when my 94 E420 with less
then perfect paint got totaled State Farm gave me $4500 as market value.

And if you want to "give away" yours I'll take it!!

The only V8 124's selling cheap are turds that need $3k to $4K of work.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
If you think you have something "special" and you can document options, modifications and condition then consider "collector car" insurance.
For instance my 1988 300CE with a TurboTechnics twin turbo install and currently under going a replica C124 wide body build, original owner with 62K miles is insured for $30.5K for $427.00 per year ( collision and liability )
The premium is for an agreed upon value with the insurer and available with no driving restrictions from many sources.
The Mercedes Benz Club of America offers such insurance from Chubb ( Chubb Collector Car Insurance | Classic Car Insurance )
I've got four cars on a policy with Grundy (1971 280SL, 1988 300CE, 1994 E320 Cab, 2008 CLK63BS ) with a total agreed upon value of $206K for a yearly total premium of $2470.75.
This type of insurance assures one of being able to closely replace a vehicle should you have a total loss.
I've insured vehicles on collector policies for the last thirty years, ranging from vintage Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Aston Martin and now Mercedes.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
If you think you have something "special" and you can document options, modifications and condition then consider "collector car" insurance.
For instance my 1988 300CE with a TurboTechnics twin turbo install and currently under going a replica C124 wide body build, original owner with 62K miles is insured for $30.5K for $427.00 per year ( collision and liability )
The premium is for an agreed upon value with the insurer and available with no driving restrictions from many sources.
The Mercedes Benz Club of America offers such insurance from Chubb ( Chubb Collector Car Insurance | Classic Car Insurance )
I've got four cars on a policy with Grundy (1971 280SL, 1988 300CE, 1994 E320 Cab, 2008 CLK63BS ) with a total agreed upon value of $206K for a yearly total premium of $2470.75.
This type of insurance assures one of being able to closely replace a vehicle should you have a total loss.
I've insured vehicles on collector policies for the last thirty years, ranging from vintage Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Aston Martin and now Mercedes.
Great info! Especially a company that is willing to work with MB owners. If I ever do get a 500E, I'll certainly go that route. The rates are certainly 'reasonable' for a replacement/stated value policy.:thumbsup:

Kevin

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thought I'd update everyone-

After a lengthy battle with the insurance company I was able to get a satisfactory amount for the car. That being said, I took some time to think things over and decided I just couldn't let this 124 end up in a junkyard considering all the time Ive put into it. After borrowing a 10 ton ram and working tirelessly about a week with it, the rear end is nearly perfectly straight. Trunk closes, lights fit, power door locks even work again.Side quarter panel is nearly perfect again, and will only need a skim coat and some paint to be as it was. I was able to even save the rear bumper and am currently finishing that up. Pictures will be up once its all done. Ive now saved two of these W124s from the dreaded boneyard. Good deed done for the day.
"Never let a W124 die young."

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thought I'd update everyone-

After a lengthy battle with the insurance company I was able to get a satisfactory amount for the car. That being said, I took some time to think things over and decided I just couldn't let this 124 end up in a junkyard considering all the time Ive put into it. After borrowing a 10 ton ram and working tirelessly about a week with it, the rear end is nearly perfectly straight. Trunk closes, lights fit, power door locks even work again.Side quarter panel is nearly perfect again, and will only need a skim coat and some paint to be as it was. I was able to even save the rear bumper and am currently finishing that up. Pictures will be up once its all done. Ive now saved two of these W124s from the dreaded boneyard. Good deed done for the day.
"Never let a W124 die young."

That is great news. Glad you had a satisfying outcome out of this sad situation.
A save W124 is always a good thing!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts