Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the W123 forum, but am having alot of mismatching info turning up from the searching I've been doing!<br>
<br>
The car is supposedly a 1982 230... bought in Germany in 1987 and brought to Florida that year, been in the US ever since owned by the same people.<br>
<br>
I couldn't find the VIN in the usual place(driverside dash), so i have the numbers off the plate on the chassis by the radiator<br>
the number is: 12322310083400<br>
<br>
I noticed on this site that the 230 was not made in 82? which really makes me wonder what I have here! There isn't any badging on the car save the large Benz emblem on the decklid and of course the hood ornament which is sadly missing!<br>
<br>
the car is 4 on the floor, sedan, gas powered inline 6, carburated, a dark blue in color with hubcaps and a spare set of quite nice alloys in the trunk!<br>
<br>
Please anyone that can, help me! This is turning into quite a mystery!<br>
<br>
<br>
~Anna Maria<br>
'74 VW Standard Beetle<br>
'97 Nissan 200SX SE-R<br>
'89 Acura Integra LS<br>
'87 Honda Civic CRX HF

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
VIN Explanation;<br> <br> 123.223.1.0.083400<br> <br> 123 = Series - W123<br> 223 = Vehicle Type - 230E Saloon<br> 1 = Left Hand Drive<br> 0 = Manual Gearbox<br> 083400 = Serial Number<br> <br> However it seems that you have the earlier (M180)230/6 engine from a W114 fitted, not the four cylinder fuel injected (M102) 230E unit.<br> I beleave there may me a VIN nunber stamped on the Bulk head near the battery.<br> Try to find the actual engine number stamped on the engine, 230E wil start with 102..... and 230/6 will start 180.....<br> <br> <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on second inspection of the car(the first done rather hastily in quickly dimming light)<br> it is a 4 cyl engine, but it looks carbed, not the fuel injection system that was described to me by my father....<br> <br> thanks again for the help<br> <br> ~Anna

1 - 3 of 3 Posts