Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300TDT (euro), 1984 380SL
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had never really noticed any hang up with my key ignition but today my lady was driving Black Betty, came home to drop some things off and was going to head back to work and the key would not turn. I'm thinking, just turn the steering wheel a little and it will free the lock cylinder. I figured I was going to break the key off trying. It looks as if the tumbler is turned a little left past the stop notch. I am having no luck turning the key to positions 1 or 2. Is there anything I can do to get the car started? Can I even get a new tumbler to match my keys? and if so how much will I be spending?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... that looks insanely easy but my problem is not a key stuck or broken in the tumbler. It is the fact that I cannot move the tumbler to the said acc position or position 1. So, is there anything I can do at this point? Plus, won't I need a new tumbler that matches my key set??

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
1,799 Posts
thats a great video!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My amazing mechanic

I got the ignition tumbler fixed today. Well, I didn't do it. I was pretty desperate thinking that I wouldn't be able to hack it or at the very least it would have taken me hours and the car needs to be drivable for my lady to get to work. So I stop by my mechanic's today on the way home from work. One of the guys says, "You live around the corner, right? I'm just about done here and I'll follow you over there and we'll get it taken care of." I was a little surprised. I mean I've spent a few dollars and hours hanging around the place called German Car Service at 2608 N Scottsdale Rd Scottsdale, AZ 85257 but for him to just offer to come to my house and fix it. I'm not sure if its that I car a lot about my cars or he was just feeling like being nice but I could definitely go on. These guys have done things to help me out without even telling me i.e. welding on mounting brackets for my radiator overflow. If you are in the Phoenix area they are definitely worth the money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts