Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Whilst working on my 2003 S600 V12TT I note the front most ABC hose is new genuine. This is good.

But there is a hose directly behind and well hidden which looks damp with oil. I know the front hose with the U bend is ABC and the larger top most metal pipe is engine oil cooler. But not sure yet what the damp hose is? Power steering maybe? I'll study WPC tonight but if anyone is familiar with this damp line please do let me know!

Screenshot_20191014-121335_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20191014-121328_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20191014-121324_Video Player.jpg

·
Registered
2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, there is a local auto parts store who make hydraulic hoses. I guess I could remove the damp pipe and have them crimp in a new section of higher grade hose? (Steel reinforced hose)

·
Registered
2006 S600
232 Posts
Does it connect to the same tandem pump banjo outlet as the U-bend pipe?

If so it's the high pressure feed to the regulator / pulsation damper.

Nick

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it connect to the same tandem pump banjo outlet as the U-bend pipe?

If so it's the high pressure feed to the regulator / pulsation damper.

Nick
Hi Nick, thanks for the reply. I will take a closer look tonight and see if I can trace where this pipe comes from and connects to. The cam cover gaskets were leaking oil so it may be residue from that or the prior leaking front ABC hose. But since I will have the subframe lowered this Saturday I would be keen to take care of it whilst in there that's all.

I may not have time to get the new hose ordered now anyway so I might get the local hydraulic hose place to repair it. And I'll need to order some ABC fluid! :unsure:

·
Registered
2005 S600
456 Posts
That damp pipe is the pressure hose for the ABC. It runs from the ABC pump to the pressure regulator. That section goes from ABC pump to a junction right next to the alternator.

The subsequent section goes from that junction down the passenger side of the block, under the block to the driver side, then has a rubber section from driver side back to the regulator. No idea why it’s routed like that, but it is...

That first section is doable with the engine in situ, though getting to the ABC junction at the pump is a challenge... But the subsequent section has several retaining brackets, bolted to the block, that require you to lower the subframe, or remove the exhaust, in order to gain access.

I did both lines when I did the engine mounts, since I had access. Together, they ran about $600.

The hose on the subsequent section is both short and straight. The metal sections are long, and made of complex curves to fit around the block. This might be good candidates for an aftermarket section of hose with compression fittings if you don’t want to pony up the full cost of replacement hoses.

·
Registered
'94 E500 (sold), '05 S55, '08 G55
32 Posts
That damp pipe is the pressure hose for the ABC. It runs from the ABC pump to the pressure regulator. That section goes from ABC pump to a junction right next to the alternator.

The subsequent section goes from that junction down the passenger side of the block, under the block to the driver side, then has a rubber section from driver side back to the regulator. No idea why it’s routed like that, but it is...

That first section is doable with the engine in situ, though getting to the ABC junction at the pump is a challenge... But the subsequent section has several retaining brackets, bolted to the block, that require you to lower the subframe, or remove the exhaust, in order to gain access.

I did both lines when I did the engine mounts, since I had access. Together, they ran about $600.

The hose on the subsequent section is both short and straight. The metal sections are long, and made of complex curves to fit around the block. This might be good candidates for an aftermarket section of hose with compression fittings if you don’t want to pony up the full cost of replacement hoses.
I would love to see the EPC diagram with part numbers to help identify both of those hoses... I have a subscription to the EPC but would need help figuring out where to find the relevant diagram.

·
Registered
2005 S600
456 Posts
I’ve bought them recently. Can look up part numbers when I’m home.

EPC diagram will make more sense than my description...

·
Registered
2006 S600
232 Posts

The feed pipe from the pump to the regulator / damper is 215 and 260.

The threaded connection between the two sections is located at the front right corner of the engine sump, and is cunningly hidden by the subframe. If you drop the front of the subframe a couple of inches it's easy enough.

Nick

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As it turned out the oil staining was not really from this hose itself. It seemed to be brown engine oil not hydraulic fluid and when I wiped the hose it was 04/2012 date stamped and looking in good condition.

Basically the car had many years of cam cover gaskets leaking so most all hoses were somewhat wet in areas. So I spent a couple hours and cleaned everything up underneath with brake cleaner so all old traces of oil etc are gone. And the 3x undertrays were cleaned.

So I'll drive it for a week or two and put it up on my friends lift, remove all undertrays and look again if any new / current oil weeps show up which then will require addressing. The old oil needed cleaned up for proper diagnosis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts