Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do research before posting but none of the sounds I found already recorded on youtube matched mine. I'd appreciate any advice because I have no clue right now.

You can barely hear it from the top (maybe because of the other noise?), it's coming somewhere from the middle of the block, where I point my camera. Sorry for the terrible wind sound! But at 27th and 37th second you can clearly hear it

You can hear it much, much better from underneath the car (maybe because it refracts from the asphalt well?)

facts:
-Usually disappears after reaching operational temp.
-Sometimes disappears before reaching temp with high revs, usually comes back until above.
-No other issues what so ever: no smoke from exhaust, no rough idle, no other sounds, starts up perfectly, drives perfectly, leaks as little oil as a 500,000km, 34 year old car could, etc. Absolutely no other problems.
-Drives me insane even though I can barely hear it, I want my car to be perfect.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,822 Posts
Before suggestions start Ray tell us where you are? There is zero information in your profile. No service info history.

It will help us better help you.

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Before suggestions start Ray tell us where you are? There is zero information in your profile. No service info history.

It will help us better help you.

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
What do you mean by where I am? You mean the climate? Mediterranean coast of Spain. The car was in Germany until 2005. I don't have the original service history, but the car had two previous owners, my friend and his friend. They mostly wrenched it themselves instead of going to the dealer. The engine block itself was never opened. The sound was present at least since 2005, when the previous owner bought it. Don't have contact with the original and I doubt he would remember.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,299 Posts
Maybe I'm just too used to my OM617 (W123) and OM605 (W202), but that sounds like "cold diesel engine" to me. If I were you, I would have the injectors pop tested, and have the engine cylinders compression tested, just to ease my mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts