Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1979 Case 406. Low hours rust free example that is generally in good shape. We are going through it by changing fluids etc. The electrical systems have been rather hobbled together by previous owners. It has front and rear Ramsey 12K winches on it. The three boxes shown are bolted inside the cab behind the shift levers with the wires running forward thru two holes drilled in the firewall. The previous owner did not know what they were for either. Does anyone have a idea what their purpose before I remove them. We are anxious to get everything sorted out so we can start using it in the backcountry here in Alaska.

Attachments

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
I don't know, but I would guess they are relays.
BERG on the case might indicate they were manufactured by Berg Electronics GmbH ,
In Oberursel, Germany.
If all else fails, I'd email them a photo and ask for help.
Taking the cover off might solve the question, as would arduously tracing out where the wires go.
First thing might be to label the leads and then disconnect them, one set at a time, from the distribution Blocks on the firewall and see what doesn't work any more, if anything.

There is also
Frenzel & Berg GmbH & Co. Kg. in Ulm, Germany

They may be connected to the previous, and the " Berg" in their logo matches the font of
The Berg on your cases.

·
Registered
1978 416 L DOKA
47 Posts
I sure hope they have something for you to go from. otherwise that looks like hours of miserable wire tracing. Good luck and i hope to see you again the next time im in Anchorage in 10 days.

Robert

·
Registered
1984 406
565 Posts
I believe the first picture you show is/was the connections for the head lights and switching them from the grill to the plow lights. They look burned or melted in the picture, so pehaps someone swapped that wiring out to these relays/switches????????? Just a thought. MUD

·
Registered
1990 Unimog 1300L, 2004 ML350, 1999 SLK 230,
579 Posts
They may just be junction boxes. Best to take the covers off and have a look inside as suggested earlier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts