Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 Wagon
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am hoping someone on here can help me.
I am looking to replace my 2000 E320 Wagon, and I want to get a GL.
The question I have is are they all expensive to work on? I have had very little issues with my wagon, and I need a newer car with less miles, as we travel a lot.
I like the size of the GL, and I need something to be able to easily tow my 63 Beetle.
I am aware of the Air ride issues, and would change to regular shocks.
What other problems are they known for, and overall are they fairly reliable. I don't have real deep pockets, so I'm budgeted for a 2007-2009.
I know about first Generation issues, so is the 08 a better idea? Also what motor should I go for the 450, or the 550?

I just want something that I can trust to jump in and go on a long road trip with, without any problems.

I'm also considering going with an ML instead but I'm just not sure what to do.
I don't want to go broke owning anything.

I know I want my next vehicle to be a Mercedes, but that's about it.

Can someone please help me?

Thank you

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
119 Posts
Im in a similar situation. Next week Im gonna buy a 2009 GL 320

And I also need useful hints about other issues than the air ride

My trip from the location where the GL will be bought to where I live will be about 1150 miles, maybe towing a 1.5 tonn trailer. So Its important that it works during the trip

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 GL450
18 Posts
We have owned both the ML and GL. I would hands down go for the GL for long drives because of the air suspension alone. Definitely get the 08 or up versions. As well as the update engine. I have a GL 07 and it was one of the first ones off the line. I love the way the GL drives and it's safety.
I was side swiped by some one when existing the highway. They jumped from the fast lane to my exit lane hit me. With their tiny Mazda so hard they jumped up a little on my hood. (There was an enbankment so I was forced to push into her car to keep from going into that) I hardly felt the hit and drove my car home fully functioning. Hers not so much.
The down side is due to having the model I have and not a newer one we have had a LOT of time in the shop with this once it hit over 130,000. The ML was in the shop at least once a month. Had it not been for the bumper to bumper we had on it I don't know what we would have done. As soon as that ran out we traded it for the GL. We knew it was going to keep going to the shop untill we rebuilt the entire car. So opted to trade it in for an other model not knowing it was going to be pretty much the same thing. Now the bumper to bumper has run out and we have opted to keep it for the next few years and do the work our self. It's a joy to drive which it why we will be keeping our GL. Just make sure you get the most up-to-date model you can afford so as to avoid the pit falls of multi shop visits.

·
Registered
2007 GL450
18 Posts
Most of the GL problems are actually just maintenance. After so many miles things just need to be changed or they break.
Intake manifold $4-1000
Thermostat pump=$170
Gas cap=$3-50
Fuel filter=$200
Coil pack v8=$250
O2 sensor 4= $100
Wireing harness=$100
Transmission service kit 722.9=$150
Bosh silinode set 722.9 =$100
Camshaft cap and engine oil sperator=$90

Left and right control arm bushings=$100

·
Registered
2001 E320 4matic wagon
129 Posts
I just want something that I can trust to jump in and go on a long road trip with, without any problems.

I'm also considering going with an ML instead but I'm just not sure what to do.
I don't want to go broke owning anything.

I know I want my next vehicle to be a Mercedes, but that's about it.

Can someone please help me?

Thank you
Please keep me (us) posted on your car-hunt journey. I'm about 6 months behind you. We're about to retire our 01 320 wagon to teen driver and SUP hauling duty. We need something at least the same size (big people) w/same snow abilities in a newer flavor for family road trips.

Thx!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts