Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Take a look in this thread.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/1358724-mercedes-190-e-d-201-heater.html

19. Remove the passenger side cover located under the dash it will be held by three screws remove the plastic caps covering the screws to gain access remove the screws then remove panel. 20. Pull back the weather striping on the front pillar on both sides. Remove both front pillar trim panels by prying the clips loose. 21. Remove the retaining screw and remove both speaker grilles. 22. Remove both upper retaining bolt on both sides of the dash adjacent to the speakers. 23. Uses pliers and a cloth pull off the headlight switch knob remove the nut unplug and remove switch. 24. If equipped pry out the headlight beam adjustment switch disconnect and remove making note of connections 25. Pry out rear dome light switch unplug and remove. 26. Remove the 2 side retaining bolt located on each side of the dash at the bottom. 27. Pull the air duct for the passenger side outlet. 28. Disconnect the glove box lamp switch wires. 29. Remove the bolt on the underside of the dash securing it to the body stiffener. 30. Pull the hose off the rear of the center vents. 31. Carefully pry off the ignition trim ring, 32. Remove the retaining bolt form behind the glove box cover and the inner nut at the bottom right hand side. 33. Pull out the demister nozzles on the heater box and remove dash from car slowly making sure that nothing was missed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's the one I printed but go back to step 5, instrument panel removal. It just says "remove panel under the dash drivers side" I can't see how it's attached. I don't want to break it. It's attaced at the top behind a strip but I can't see.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to remove it to get at the vacuum elements that are bad. I tested them and at least two are toast. I'm also getting funky readings from the potentiometer. 2.4 vols until you get up to the hot range, then it starts going crazy.

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
there is a screw near the hood latch too and if you have the later style cars with air bags remove the knee bloster.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jippi, I got all that. I'm heading out to try the air duct again. Wish me luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
While you're in there, it may be worth it to replace the heater core (~$100 USD from parts.com) while you're at it. They do fail, and if you've got the cash it's some good preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking of it. Not sure if the funds will go that far. All depends on how many elements need to be replaced and how much they cost. All this to get heat! I never got the hose out, but I did get the cluster out and then called it quits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts