Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 C230k
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did a search didn't really find what i was looking for.

OK so i installed the hid system, the ones that plug into the h7 headlight connecter for power (meaning doesn't requre a seprate battery connection), they work fine sometimes when engine is off but when i turn on the car and drive it the bulbs go out and keep flickers non stop. Looks like they're trying to ignite.

Should i change the fuse to a higher rating to supply more current for the ballests to ignite? If so then where is the headlight fuse located?

btw this is on a 2006 c230.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
You are funny, do you even know what a fuse does? I say stick a penny in there, haha, poof, then your comp insurance will pay for you car! HID lights consume much less power than halogen, if anything you should put in a smaller fuse but please, for the environment's sake, don't do it, don't cause your car to go on fire, my parents did it in their MB, not fun (although it was funny to everyone else).

You need to go to the MB dealer or a very well equipped euro car repair place and have them set the XENON option to PRESENT. Then all will be well, we hope.

·
Registered
2000 C230k
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol.. but don't the ballasts require alot of amps for igniting? The current fuse rating for the stock ones are 5, and it won't ignite. I use to have them with a 7 amp fuse (each ballast) and theyuse to ignite fine and stay on.

My dealer is being gay they said they dont want to do it because if something goes wrong they dont want to be held responsible.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,044 Posts
i concur with mr buellwinkle. if you're not up to speed on car elec trics and elec tronics
dont futz with them. your anecdotal tales of success may result in charred remains.
the ballast is a high voltage item, but the wattage (power consumption) is less than
that of a halogen system. there is something nagging me about your statement....
that the default factory fuse rating is 5 amps for the headlights. something isn't right here.

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
Your lights are flashing because the normal running current for HID's is lower than the halogen H7's your car expects to have running and the system is setting a DTC for a bad lamp module. The startup current on the ballasts IS higher but once the lamps are up to running temp the normal current draw is much lower.

WARNING:

If your car is Canadian spec and has DRL's that cannot be turned off you need to find a dealer that is willing to activate the Xenon present option ASAP!
Halogen DRL's run at reduced voltages which is something that will cause overheating in your ballasts as they will draw excessive current when they attempt to maintain the proper output voltage in the face of reduced input voltages. They are self regulating and they will correct for the reduced input voltage by adjusting the inverter inside the ballast to get more output.

You must manually turn the lights on to provide full voltage to the ballasts until the Xenon Present option is enabled. Once that is properly set the Xenons will be allowed full voltage in all DRL modes by the system.

·
Registered
2006 C280 4Matic
209 Posts
yeah man....that's why everyone loves that xenon sh**. aside from looking pretty..it produces a more visible and pure light that consumes less power. Did you read up on anything before installing the HID System? Xenon = Present has to be set...if you know someone with the Star Diag sh** it's as simple as plug in, and change it...but you better hurry or you'll f*** your sh** up REALLY GOOD!

·
Registered
2000 C230k
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NEW: went to dealer he said OK to the code change from the star diag, but he'es charging me to much for something that takes 5 min to do.

Before i mention the quote he gave me, how much did they charge you guys?

·
Registered
2006 C280 4Matic
209 Posts
shouldn't be more than $100 to code your car properly. Steve charges $1350 for the lights and the install including coding. he sells the light sfor 1250.

·
Registered
2000 C230k
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DJYoshi said:
shouldn't be more than $100 to code your car properly. Steve charges $1350 for the lights and the install including coding. he sells the light sfor 1250.
dealer quoted me $150. To me its not worth it at all for something that takes so less time. Im looking for a local shop that could do it for much cheaper. (im in Toronto btw)

·
Registered
465 Posts
whitec230k said:
dealer quoted me $150. To me its not worth it at all for something that takes so less time. Im looking for a local shop that could do it for much cheaper. (im in Toronto btw)
Mine cost me the price of $0, I asked the SA to do it for me when I brought my car in for maintenance.

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes-Benz C350
3 Posts
hey let me know if you find a cheap place that will re-program you car. I am in the middle of purchasing a new set of headlights with aftermarket HID... im in mississauga

·
Registered
'06 S500 & '04 C230 Komp Sprt
25 Posts
Nifty forum here - ahh the first post!

Why Not drop in a 25-ish watt 9 ohm resistor on the pigtails? That would get you to the 55W the computer needs to read to not trigger the german headlight law thing in the car's computer.... :thumbsup:

10-15 mins max time, and the "fire" story is highly unlikely if you know how to operate a soldering gun and properly shield the exposed wires afterwards with heat shrink and a bit of electrical tape. Any novice can read a few motes on how to solder and be a pro in a few minutes of practice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts