Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GL450
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2009 GL450 beautiful car. Took it home, the dealer said I had 2 days to find little things wrong with it and he'll take care of it.

He fixed a couple things the first day. When driving it the second day after leaving the dealership, all of sudden the check engine light came on. My boyfriend had a OBD reader it is the oxygen sensor severity level 2 out of 3. We also noticed that the OBD code showing had been cleared 5 times within the last 6 months.
We feel confident that the dealer knew the whole time and was clearing the code to sell the car. We are also concerned about the catalytic converter is probably an issue as well.

In addition, we I had brought the car back to be fixed before this nitemare, he brought me into his office and told me the DMV fees were higher than he thought. Purchase Price was $8,999. Taxes I paid 8 percent I paid $723. He said the fee was actually $1250. He wanted a check for the difference of over $500. I gave him a check but it won't clear the account yet and I didn't sign the new purchase aggreement it looks like $1250 was just typed on top of the feed category I don't know a lot about cars I'm a typical girl, sorry for the sterio type but my taxes should be 7.25 percent. There is no luxury car tax in California.

I'm so upset I did call him within his two days but he made the mechanic appointment 7 days later.

I don't have a lot of money and I feel I've been totally scammed. They didn't think we had an obd reader and that I know what auto taxes are.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you all sorry about the sense of urgency. Kelley

I really really need advice!!!

·
Registered
W163 ML320, W220 S500, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
607 Posts
I bought this summer a 2008 GL450 that looks runs and drives like new. Paid close to what you paid. However the radio makes no sound, but the backup camera works and the map comes on the screen, the stereo is just silent. Have not figured that out yet. Eventually will... There is also no power to the TV screens for the back seat. But, after a few weeks of driving the check engine light came on. I would call the DMV and ask about the taxes in your state... If they rip you off on the taxes you could sue. "My" dealer has a logo "Fine cars highly serviced"... Trust NO car dealer!!! When I looked at the engine air filters they were very dirty, the oil needed a change and when I did the oil change, the filter in the car was "made in korea", I didn't even think you could buy a korean made oil filter for a Mercedes! So it was apparent this car was not serviced in any way. Luckily all the servicing is pretty easy to do. Maybe not for everyone, but I did a stint for some years as a shop tech. So, I did oil and filter change, new air filters for the engine and cabin air filters too, new wiper rubbers front and rear. Once the check engine light came on, I changed the spark plugs, making sure to get the exact ones specified in the owners manual. Still check engine light. I got new oxygen sensors, (700 each? at the dealer, $100 each to get Bosch original ones on Amazon. Still check engine light. I got a new mass airflow meter, Bosch original, $72 on amazon. I'm not trying to be an amazon salesman here. Still check engine light, it usually would take about 50 miles for it to come back on. Then I got new ignition coils, Delphi brand, which appear to be same brand as original ones, they were $30 each on amazon. When I took off the old ignition coils they had the Delphi name on them and also the Mercedes star logo. Once I had the new ignition coils, the car which I thought ran like new, ran even better, smoother, easier. The new ignition coils solved the check engine light, the car has run perfectly ever since. It's been a month and No check engine light any more. It may be that someone with an SDS (Star diagnostic system) would have looked to the coils before replacing all the other stuff but I don't have one and should get one. (SDS is around $600) But I am happy anyhow because with all those other new parts I am sure this thing is going to be problem-free in the ignition regard, for a long while. I also read on the FCP website that with these engines, (the V8) even having the air filter box improperly installed can cause a check engine light. The mouth of the air box where it meets the oval mouth on the back of the engine, can be slightly misfit on there, the spring at the back of the engine is difficult to get on there right, you're reaching all the way across the engine, that cross bar has to be removed to get the air box on and off the motor... But after seven or eight times I became a master at getting that thing on there. Dunno how many miles you have on your engine but if you don't know an indy (independent mechanic) who has a SDS scanner it can be a guessing game. If it runs well you're half way there? If you have no idea how long the spark plugs have been in that engine I would replace those, they may have been replaced with the wrong ones, may be old and worn, etc. I am so happy that I got new spark plugs and new ignition coils. This thing is super-smooth and powerful, like a Mercedes should be. How many miles you got on that GL?

·
Registered
W163 ML320, W220 S500, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
607 Posts
One of the important things to know as a mercedes owner is that the dealership is not the place to take your car, or buy parts that you know you need. They are good for information, and to get prices on parts, part numbers that pertain to your car, but most often whatever part you need may be bought a lot cheaper somewhere else. You have to become your own professional purchasing agent and source the best quality part at the best price. This can be fun, actually, but years ago I worked for a supply company and we salespeople did a lot of our own sourcing and buying, and as long as we made the company money, we had free reign. So I use that experience and I have saved thousands of dollars on parts for my cars, even before I owned Mercedes. The dealerships have computes and can tell you aoprt numbers specific to parts specific to your car, but once you got those part numbers you can find better prices, not always but most of the time. Their service departments? Oh, boy. I will never EVER bring another mercedes to the service department of another mercedes dealership. I'd sell the car first. It's best to do your own work and maintenance or be good friends with an independent mechanic who's got experience with Mercedes.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes ML320, Mercedes 190E 2.3L (sold), 2001 Mercedes c320(gone)
1,391 Posts
I purchased a 2009 GL450 beautiful car. Took it home, the dealer said I had 2 days to find little things wrong with it and he'll take care of it.

He fixed a couple things the first day. When driving it the second day after leaving the dealership, all of sudden the check engine light came on. My boyfriend had a OBD reader it is the oxygen sensor severity level 2 out of 3. We also noticed that the OBD code showing had been cleared 5 times within the last 6 months.
We feel confident that the dealer knew the whole time and was clearing the code to sell the car. We are also concerned about the catalytic converter is probably an issue as well.

In addition, we I had brought the car back to be fixed before this nitemare, he brought me into his office and told me the DMV fees were higher than he thought. Purchase Price was $8,999. Taxes I paid 8 percent I paid $723. He said the fee was actually $1250. He wanted a check for the difference of over $500. I gave him a check but it won't clear the account yet and I didn't sign the new purchase aggreement it looks like $1250 was just typed on top of the feed category I don't know a lot about cars I'm a typical girl, sorry for the sterio type but my taxes should be 7.25 percent. There is no luxury car tax in California.

I'm so upset I did call him within his two days but he made the mechanic appointment 7 days later.

I don't have a lot of money and I feel I've been totally scammed. They didn't think we had an obd reader and that I know what auto taxes are.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you all sorry about the sense of urgency. Kelley

I really really need advice!!!
Hi, welcome...
What other codes did you find? Just the o2 sensors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 GL450
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just at P0429 that's the only code however it looks like these codes were cleared about 5 times within a 7th month period. It shows severity 2 out of 3. What happen when it showed severity code 1 out of 3? Maybe I'm just a paranoid buyer.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes ML320, Mercedes 190E 2.3L (sold), 2001 Mercedes c320(gone)
1,391 Posts
Hmmm. I will agree with you that dealer was brutally dishonest and a cheat. If you could sue as advised, do so.

That's your catalyst and I know in some parts of your country it's a serious issue.

Here we have only conscience to deal with, I will tell you first hand, it's one of the worst issues a car will deal with.

There are 2 things that may be happening, a leak before cat or badly clogging cat: progressively you will loose uphill climbing power, vehicle will run rough and misfire, stall and run hotter than usual. In your case it seems obviously a clogging cat and the dealer knows it's expensive.

I wish you could actually sue and sue vey well. It's a scam.

What we do here is gut the cat out and the car is whole again. I have my car without the cat for 3 years.

If there's a law that protects you; sue the man Kelley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
444 Posts
Did it have a "Sold as is.. No warranty implied".. rear window sheet, clearly displayed.? If he's been in business more than a couple days.. He knows how to rip people off "legally" You'll never win in court..

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,492 Posts
This doesn’t sound like a great experience, but it doesn’t sound like dealer rape either. There are more fees for registration. Yes, the guy should have told you upfront, but:

I would spend the $150 or whatever from a decent independent shop to get it thoroughly checked out. If it’s basically a good car, fix the cat as economically as you can (meaning Midas or similar), get as much concession from the dealer as reason permits, and enjoy the car.

Also make sure your engine VIN is outside the cursed range: http://www.mercedesmedic.com/check-my-mercedes-benz-for-balance-shaft-issue-by-vin-m272273/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts