Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1983 240D, Manual.

Recent work completed: New Fuel Lines installed by workshop (not by me)

I have a heavy fuel leak at the bottom of the diesel tank. It seems that the seal, or gasket, or whatever (it feels like a rubber part) has ruptured, and fuel is leaking out of it. I was driving along and all of a sudden the engine started running rough and then suddenly died. I have been looking for these parts online now, but I cant seem to find them- in fact, I don't even know what they are called. Can someone give me a hand?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
That rubber seal is just there to stop the pipes on the fuel tank from chaffing on the chassis and possibly giving a bit of wiggle space to the hard lines as the tank flexes when full. The rubber part in particular isn't something that needs not to leak. (The tank shouldn't leak however!)

Have you got any fuel in the tank?

A leak like that looks like something has ruptured - perhaps a joint at the tank.

Has the tank been recently removed and refitted?

Have you checked inside the car for more fuel spillage?

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Agreed, that is simply a gasket between the tank and the frame.

Your mechanic has some 'splainin' to do.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To my knowledge, they just bent on new metal lines when they replaced them- I don't think they removed the tank to do it.

Yes, there was fuel in the tank- It was starting to get low (423 miles on the tank so far) but definitely another gallon or two in it.

I was fortunate that the car died just a few miles from a friend's house. We were able to pull it into their driveway where I can keep it for a few days.

I have not been able to get underneath it yet and really look, but when it was sitting on the side of the road, there was a substantial flow of fuel coming out- like when you don't close the faucet all the way. There was a sizable puddle in the gravel when we pulled it away.

I am going to see if I can get under the car in the next day or so. Hopefully the new fuel line just slipped off the nipple on the tank or something. If not... I'll have to have a word with the mechanic.

·
Registered
5 Speed "85" Euro TD , 5 speed "85" Euro 240D, "79" 5 spd 240D, 5 spd "94" Dodge/Cummins PU
664 Posts
nothing looks familiar to me either and I have a bunch of 240s:eek:

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are not filling me with confidence... :( I am going to attempt to fix it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
1,418 Posts
I'd go to the shop that did the work and have them figure out what they did wrong.

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
You guys are not filling me with confidence... :( I am going to attempt to fix it tomorrow.
Don't worry about the more recent comments - just crawl on under there and look for cracks / leaks in the pipes. My guess is that it'll be pretty obvious when you get a bit closer to that area and have a proper look. The source of a leak that big should be easy to find.

Remove the cover panel in the boot / trunk of the car. This might give you a little bit more natural light - and it will give you a chance to see if there's any fuel (damage) inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
I'd go to the shop that did the work and have them figure out what they did wrong.
Yes. But He could still look and see what is wrong.

It is nice to make the Shop Fix it but if it is something simple and you fix it yourself it saves you a lot of trouble in transporting the Car to the Shop.

Another issue is that Shops like to have your Car back in the Shop because it gives them a chance to look for something else on the Car for them to work on that they can Fix and get more Money out of you.
When they do a warranty they lose money on the time to fix the warranted item and they also lose because the Mechanic would have used that time to make money on another job.

To make up for the loss they try to find something else to fix.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Well we are not there to actually see what the issue is so we are assuming a lot.
I went to the Russian parts site and there is a note; evidently the Rubber Gasket was not used on all of the Cars made. So that is why I do not recognize some of the pics. My Car may not have that.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fixed!

Here is a decent pic from when i had the car on some jack stands and could actually get under it.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. It ended up just being a simple hose clamp that slipped off. It seemed a lot worse than it really was.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts