Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
MB 190E 2.3-16v, Eagle vision 3.5, '70 Buick GS455, '73 Opel commodore, nissan stanza, honda accord
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 190 2.3 16, which came out from a barn...
It has 2 issues :
1- doesnt start when cold. I think I'm on something with the cold start injector. It runs ok when I put a direct 12v on it. When cranking I don't have any voltage on the injector's connector. So I figure that the problem may be on the temperature sensor.. but I have at least 3 of them in front of the engine : a 1 connector one, a 2 connection one and a 3 connection one.... how do I test them ? and which one ?
So for now I put a manual switch on the injector so the car can start.
Before it gets to the operating temperature, the engine seems to stall when I press on the gas pedal, except if I manually run the 5th injector...
... what do you think ?

2- I think I need rear end bearing change. Do you know where I can get the bearings, somewhere else than the Benz dealership ?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
W124 300e
3,355 Posts
welcome and good luck with your car, the rear bearings you can get from napa or w.e local parts store you have, but there a bitch to change.

hope you stay a while, have fun with the car and dont forget to post pictures of you car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
MB 190E 2.3-16v, Eagle vision 3.5, '70 Buick GS455, '73 Opel commodore, nissan stanza, honda accord
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I would need an adress .. I'm live on the other side on the ocean .. no NAPA store.... just wine.
I got the car 2 days ago, I'll post pictures soon.

·
Registered
W124 300e
3,355 Posts
then that might be a problem haha, the bearings are about 20 bucks from the dealer, if that. they arent that much money. like stefan said, complete your profile so we can help ya out some more. how long did the car sit there for anyway???

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
odgs455 said:
... I'm live on the other side on the ocean .. no NAPA store.... just wine...
There are 4 oceans on our planet... :)

And if you ask for a repair kit for the rear wheel bearing, ask if part no. A 202 980 00 16 fits your chassis.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok I did my profile..... now for the pictures I can't do it for some reason .. I could send to one of you some pictures to try ..?

as for the car's condition : not too bad for a car that didn't drive for 5-6 years...
needed a good clean up some plastic repairs in the interior, the wood accent are bad, but they can be repaired or removed. Paid something like $400 for it, and drove home as soon as the engine was warm enough to not stall.

besides the problems I listed in my first post, I have a crack in the winshield.

for the bearing , there's 4 of them in the differential carrier, right ? are they all the same?

·
Registered
W124 300e
3,355 Posts
as far as i know, there mite be 2 different sizes in the front, im not sure in the back, and there are 4 bearing total in the from so im thinking that there are 4 in the back too.

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
odgs455 said:
Hi, I just bought a 190 2.3 16, which came out from a barn...
It has 2 issues :
1- doesnt start when cold. I think I'm on something with the cold start injector. It runs ok when I put a direct 12v on it. When cranking I don't have any voltage on the injector's connector. So I figure that the problem may be on the temperature sensor.. but I have at least 3 of them in front of the engine : a 1 connector one, a 2 connection one and a 3 connection one.... how do I test them ? and which one ?
So for now I put a manual switch on the injector so the car can start.
Before it gets to the operating temperature, the engine seems to stall when I press on the gas pedal, except if I manually run the 5th injector...
... what do you think ?

2- I think I need rear end bearing change. Do you know where I can get the bearings, somewhere else than the Benz dealership ?

Thanks for your help

I don't think it's the rear bearings!
I'm not trying to scare you, but this was a similar problem that
happened to my Benz awhile ago.
It actually was the rear end. If your lucky, you might need some differential fluid?
For me, it was the gear & ring inside the diff. (bad luck)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how could I find out if it's the bearings or something else before taking the rear end off the vehicule ?

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
odgs455 said:
how could I find out if it's the bearings or something else before taking the rear end off the vehicule ?
Put the car on a hoist & get someone to sit inside in-order to put the car in gear, then see if the noise is coming from the differential? You might need to add some diff. fluid. Usually you can justify where the noise is coming from!
Also, check to see if theres any leaks around the differential? (maybe the cause theres no fluid???????)

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
From my own experience excessive play in the rear wheel can also be caused by a defective bearing that can groove the wheel hub determining the bearing to wiggle (I've solved that problem by round-load-soldering and machining the hub to the micrometric fitting dimension with the bearing).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks , I'll try all that asap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can you put any type of W201 rear end in a 190 2.3 16v... ??

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
By rear end are we talking drive shaft? Diff? Rear axel? Subframe?

Anyway the answer is yes but it depends what you are changing for me to tell you what else needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, for now I'm just looking, since I have yet took the time to look exactly what's wrong... I hope it's just a couple of bearings or maybe the fact that the car sat undriven for a very long time.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
try changing the diff fluids

1 - 19 of 19 Posts